Does anyone else get the feeling.......

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mojohanna, Jun 12, 2007.

1. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

I am starting to worry about the ability of my not too old G5 to handle Leopard. Does anyone know the system requirements for Leopard?
    I am already planning on an additional HD, for Time Machine, but will I need to upgrade my vid card?
    I know that it is only natural to focus on the intel chips, but I have not heard much mention of support for PPC users. I am sure there is still a large number of us out there.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

FWIW, I'm not expecting it to be a problem for my iMac G5.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Yes lots of other people, lots of posts on here about this very thing, your G5 will be fine, G4s have been working with Leopard. I think as long as your graphics supports the ripple effect in Dashboard then you should be fairly sure that all the effects will work in Leopard, however this may not be the case. Just wait and see.

4. DinnyHoon macrumors member

UKHC, you make a good point about the ripple effect. It has put me at ease about my base model 1G Macbook :D

5. mojohanna thread starter macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

I do get the ripple so hopefully I am good. I have had this machine for about 3 years and I hope to get at least two more out of it before I jump back in an get a new one.

The other thing that makes me wonder is that fact that Apple is dropping so much memory in the new machines. It makes me think Leopard is a memory hog. I am guessing that 1 gig min is going to be what it takes.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I think you may have the same graphics card that was in the rev A iMac (maybe slightly beefed up) I had that iMac and the graphics card was IMO just on the verge of being capable.

768Mb of Ram is still a reasonable amount, should be usable as early reports are that it is much faster and that there has been some rewriting with optimizations. Ram upgrades are easy and pretty affordable for much increased performance, I personally wouldn't consider using a 1.8ghz Dualie with anything less than 1.5Gb of Ram, but 768 should be fine.

7. Variant macrumors 6502

Variant

Without much knowledge of the Macbooks, I'm going to guess that the graphics card on any iMac G5 is going to be better than (most of?) the current laptops (I'm just guessing, so correct me if I'm wrong!). It will defiantly run fine on all the new laptops and therefore iMac G5s.

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

From having used both the iMac G5 and the Core Duo Macbook with GMA950, I would say that the GMA was more powerful and more capable. Just gave a more refined looks with the ripple effect.

But your point is still valid, as i doubt the GMA950 will not be able to handle the effects. So a beefed up version of the iMac gfx card should definitely handle it.

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Depends on the G5. If its the last ones with the X600 then they will be faster, if its the middle ones with the 9600s, then they will be a little faster, if they are the first ones with the FX5200 then they will be slower. The thing about the GMA950 is that a lot of stuff is done on the CPU so that could make something that looks bad on paper look good in practice.