Does anyone else hate how services like Netflix have no rating system?

rayriceroni00

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 12, 2016
They used to have the star ratings then abandoned it. Now, cruising their interface to find something is like blindly running through the forest.

What do you guys use to look up Netflix content ratings?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
They used to have the star ratings then abandoned it. Now, cruising their interface to find something is like blindly running through the forest.

What do you guys use to look up Netflix content ratings?
Yes, it is annoying. They removed the ratings when they increased their production of original content. They didn't want it too obvious if their shows were terrible.

You can check many originals here though:
https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword?keywords=netflix-original&ref_=fn_al_kw_1

rayriceroni00

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 12, 2016

ElectricPotato

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2018
Seattle
Netflix adopted the Comcast approach to customer relations: removal of useful rating system, forced previews if you pause to inspect a show, and flushing the majority of their content and back filling with self generated material that would fuel Mystery Science Theater 3K for centuries. Throw in frequent price increases and you have the complete package.

Netflix went from something useful and unique to just another floater in a crowded cesspool.

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I just wish they'd stop recommending stuff I have no interest in. I've gone through and manually thumbed down every single children's show, cartoon, romantic comedy, stand up comedy, teen drama, millenial angst fest and foreign TV series (except BBC of course) I found listed in the category views. Blasted thing keeps popping these up as recommendations.

I do wish they would allow a ratings system. I don't think their old ratings system was an actual ratings system. Rather what it predicts you would give it as a rating. Based on others ratings with similar viewing habits.

My most preferred would be for them to make it optional and allow you to feed ratings in from IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes. I'd also like to be able to feed in movie info from IMDB. Since they have far better background info on movies and TV shows.

I can see why they don't have a ratings system. Otherwise people would be wondering why they are wasting money on a bunch of one and two star garbage. Really Netflix is just loaded up with a bunch of B-Movies made in the last 15 years. An occasional modern blockbuster. A smattering of great 80's movies and rarely anything from the 70's and earlier.

I don't think movies are a priority for them. You can't binge on a movie. You can binge on 20+ hours of a TV Series.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Netflix adopted the Comcast approach to customer relations: removal of useful rating system, forced previews if you pause to inspect a show, and flushing the majority of their content and back filling with self generated material that would fuel Mystery Science Theater 3K for centuries. Throw in frequent price increases and you have the complete package.

Netflix went from something useful and unique to just another floater in a crowded cesspool.
Not sure that many traditional cable/satellite providers are doing that, in fact quite a few of them provide the opposite: have ratings from Rotten Tomatoes or other sources, even Common Sense Media, don't really have some sort of forced previews, and provide a whole lot of content from many sources, including those that might be considered to be competitors.