Does anyone else HATE the Zcover Keyboard cover

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by f1, Feb 23, 2008.

1. f1 macrumors 6502

I just bought a zCover keyboard cover for my blackbook to cover up the shiny look its getting but i HATE it. This cover makes it so much harder to type and slows me down so much!!!!!! this is a horrible product IMO does anyone else feel that way?!?!?

2. iBookfan macrumors 6502

iBookfan

What about heat? Is it getting hot? I've just ordered a logickeyboard skin, but I suppose its the same idea. Is your keyboard "oily"?

3. f1 thread starter macrumors 6502

The keyboard cover makes no difference in heat. I think the notion that these covers can make your macbook overheat is bs. I run my macbook in clamshell mode hours at a time without problem while stressing the CPU without overheating problems. My only gripe is that it makes the keyboard so much harder to type on.

4. hughfan macrumors newbie

Yes! I hate the ZSkin. However, I want to keep the keyboard as clean as possible, so today I bought an iSkin Protouch and I like it soooo much better. I have an iSkin on my iMac's wireless keyboard and it took no time at all to get used to typing with it. So why I didn't just buy another iSkin for the MB in the first place is beyond me. Oh - it was five bucks cheaper! False economy. My typing speed is back to normal with the iSkin in place.

5. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

i just got an iskin protouch, took a little getting used to, gotta make sure you hit the keys dead center, if you get the edge it takes more pressure. otherwise it's almost like nothing's there.

got mine on ebay for $22 shipped too http://stores.ebay.com/Spotted-Horse

6. Frozonecold macrumors 6502

Is the iskin available for MacBook Pros too? I hate having to be so careful with this keyboard.

7. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

If you were to change the thread title to "does anyone else hate keyboard covers" my response would of course be yes

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

spaceball wrote this so i didn't have to. what are you guys protecting your computers from? i can understand cases, sleeves, etc, but the idea of a keyboard cover seems like overkill. the keys don't stop working if they become oily, etc. the only advantages i could see would be if they protected against spills (as in, were actually watertight), or if you were planning on reselling the computer in the future, and didn't want to risk key wear.

9. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

dust, hair, fur, the occasional crumb or drip, and wear and tear. i haven't spilled anything on a keyboard (a real spill, like knocking over a soda) in probably eight years, and luckily only cheap $15 ones.

my toshiba is about two and a half years old and i run tweezers through the keyboard once in a while, a hairball the size of a gerbil comes out, also the most used keys and the right side of the space bar are now shiny from wear. i was having trouble with it overheating, it seemed a fan wasn't running, so i took it in and in the end i paid $35 to have it cleaned out. i hope my macbook have a longer lifespan than my toshiba did, and i'd like to keep it looking new and running well, and keeping dust etc out is a simple preventive measure.

10. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

KB covers look ugly. And as some pointed out, they also feel ugly.

Keeping your hands clean is much better than getting one of them. Not that it's so hard :rolleyes:

11. cyberjunky macrumors regular

Im using an iSkin on my macbook and its a good idea to protect it form liquid spills but otherwise i dont have a problem typing on it, typing is just fine. What i do have a problem with though is that somehow the dust and hair line dust particles keep getting under it and i dont know how since i never take it off, and once on its a nuissance to try and get them off of the cover.

12. Gustavo macrumors newbie

You just haven't used a good one yet

I purchased a zCover a while ago and also hated it...it was stiff and made typing ridiculous. I liked the idea of a cover to protect the keyboard, because I have spilled a drink on an airplane on my macbook and it didnt fare well. I went out and purchased an iSkin, same issue...stiff, uncomfortable, so I just gave up. A friend turned me on to a company called KB Covers, I was hesitant because I thought they were all crap...but he said these were different. I went on their site and saw all the applications covers they had...what a great idea, I struggle remembering shortcuts all the time...so I bought the Final Cut cover and WHAT A DIFFERENCE. It is super thin and very soft when typing, I was surprised but very pleased. I have purchased a few of them.

13. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I believe keyboard covers to be a marketing strategy employed by a higher being to make their lexus payments.:D

14. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

KB covers look ugly?

i have a black iskin cover on my macbook pro. The only downsides are that it blocks virtually all backlight if its on and it slightly decreases my typing speed. Everyone that sees it thinks it looks great and ask if they sell it for their computer. After i told her what it was this one girl in my class was blown away, "So thats how you type so quietly!". Almost like a Ti book and they have to take a second glance.

I also use it because i use my computer to look up service manuals when i work. If any of you worked on computers, there is a lot of dust involved especially on older ones. I cant afford washing my hands every time i touch a computer. Dry hands feel nasty.

15. JackV macrumors newbie

Keyboard Covers

I bought a couple keyboard covers at Macworld from KB Covers(www.kbcovers.com). One for my MacBook Pro and
    one for my iMac. So far I am really happy with them. They
    are really thin so typing is easy and simple to clean. I often eat
    lunch at my desk and I never worry about getting crumbs in the
    keyboard!

16. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

I just got my final cut skin from kbcovers.com and the service was fast. This cover is great! Very nicely labeled shortcuts and the thing is so thin and silky. It surpasses my highest expectations, and I was worried, 'cause I heard one guy complain about the zcover brand being too thick. I went with kbcover, and I think more people should!:cool: