Does anyone else have this fault on their iPhone 5 or 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KKBoro, Dec 5, 2013.

1. KKBoro macrumors newbie

My g/f had the same fault with her iPhone 5, four times.

Each time it was replaced under warranty with a refurbished phone until the last one when we demanded a brand new phone so we could sell it and buy the iPhone 5S.

Anyway, it seems the iPhone 5S has the same fault and we'ev been batting emails and phone calls backwards and forwards to customer service and tech support for nearly a month.

Their latest phone call said they have been able to replicate the fault and that it is a software issue. I'm not convinced and I think it's a hardware fault because it happened on her iPhone 5 before iOS7 was released.

So, I wondered if any of you guys could replicate the same fault in your iPhone 5 or 5S.

1. Turn off wifi or be out of range of wifi.

2. Be out of range of 3G.

3. Send an email via the phone.

4. Take a couple of close up photos using your flash.

Does this happen to yours...

Girlfriends iPhone 5S and a friends iPhone 5S, both have the fault.
    [​IMG]

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

So I don't waste your time, when you say out of range of 3G what specifically does that mean? I'm on AT&T in the US and my choice is to turn off LTE which leaves me in 4G coverage. Does that meet the requirements or do you mean going down to Edge or something else?

3. viperGTS macrumors 65816

How do I get out of range of 3G? Disable with Airplane Mode?

4. KKBoro thread starter macrumors newbie

If you're in 3G, you won't see the problem and you can't turn 3G off.

I'm not sure if this problem exists in iPhones outside of the UK.

Our slowest data connection is 2G, not sure what that's called in the US.

I suspect the camera is picking up interference from the network and 2G might be the one that causes it.

It doesn't happen in airplane mode as there is no data to cause interference.

5. g.t. rags macrumors 6502

no, i usually have to stand on one leg, wear a pink tutu, and cluck like a chicken in order for my phone to screw up like that

6. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Next time I'm out of service I'll try this. I'll let you know my results.

In the US, the slowest data connection can range from GPRS for GSM networks, to 1x for CDMA networks.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Gotcha and thx. It's difficult for me to get "less" than 3G. I'll see what I can do. Too cold right now to drive out to the sticks. :)

8. KKBoro thread starter macrumors newbie

Whatever floats your boat I suppose ;)

This isn't a dig at Apple, I'm trying to figure out if this a fault with MY phone or a fault with ALL phones so that I don't waste mine and Apples time replacing it.

9. Marrakas macrumors 6502

Marrakas

What kinda fault are we talking about? Black lines on the screen? Kinda hard to see from that picture and no description of whats wrong.

10. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Thank you....I thought I was going crazy.

Not sure what fault they are talking about.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

In that case, you may need to add to your list of steps, "must be in the U.K. EU, or some other location where 2G is on the 900MHz frequency."

If it's 2G radio interference, it probably also depends on the frequency used. The US uses different bands for 2G, and other countries (like Japan) don't have 2G GSM at all.

12. KKBoro thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, if I need to explain that those black lines are the problem then I think I'm wasting my time asking here.

Thanks but don't worry about it.