Does anyone else here buy an iPhone because...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ProMed12, Oct 11, 2011.

1. ProMed12 macrumors member

of the simple & polished user experience and without any expectations or demands of it having all of the newest internal components?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

4. allmanbrother macrumors member

Yeah I would say aside from the fact that "they just work", customer service and the warranty is what keeps me coming back to Apple products again and again.

5. meder87 macrumors regular

Yes. I care about how it works, not how powerful its insides are. This is a smart phone, not a computer trying to run the latest Call of Duty 10. I mean all these phones with high specs aren't being show as to whats so special. What can you really do with them? Whats being run on them that the iPhone can't?

6. QuesoGrande macrumors newbie

7. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

It's not about the specs, it's about the user experience. A phone can have great stats on paper; but if it doesn't feel good in my hand and work smoothly, what's the point? The iPhone does everything I need it to do, it integrates well with my computer and other devices, and I think it looks beautiful. Plus I know that if I have problems with it, Apple will actually get things taken care of.

8. det2004 macrumors 6502

Yes, customer service is a big reason. They replaced the palmrest on my old MacBook after I was a couple months out of warranty for free, which I didn't think they would do. I have had pc manufacturers try to escape replacing components when I was IN warranty.

Also, I bought a Macbook and an ipod when they had one of the education promotions where you would get a mail in rebate to cover the cost of the Nano. The rebate was handled by a third party company who "lost" my rebate form and refused to pay me. The local Apple store where I purchased it, agreed to give me a $200 store credit to make up for it even though it wasn't their responsibility of their fault.

I'll always be an Apple customer because of their great customer service.

9. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

User experience, definitely. The way it integrates my data (contacts, calendar, email, photos, music, etc.) is what hooked me on the iPhone 3G in 2008. iCloud further solidifies it, I am REALLY stoked about iTunes Match too.

The hardware? It needs to be well-made, ergonomic, and elegantly designed to hold up its end of a good user experience. As far as the components, in and of themselves they mean nothing. It's how Apple puts them to use.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Of course people do. With millions of iPhone users out there the odds of your opinion being truly unique are extremely unlikely. The points you list are typical major selling points.

11. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Yeah, this is why i prefer iOS over Android. It's just clean, simple and great designed.

12. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

If the 4S didn't have Siri I would not upgrade. The only new feature that would interest me besides Siri is the camera, but it wouldn't be enough for me to upgrade.

Apple is using Siri as the primary reason for people to buy/upgrade.

13. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

I'm much the same way. I couldn't care less about the specs – I would go Android if I did. But, honestly, they suck. My brother has had for a year and using it convinced him to preorder the iPhone 4S. He was so frustrated by the user experience. I was so happy that he was convinced to switch that I stayed up all night to get the preorder in early (with his money).

Put simply, there is no better combination of user experience and design out there.

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Most people I know personally, myself included, have little to no current interest in Siri
    That may change, but it certainly had no impact on my decision to upgrade from a 4 to 4S

15. b24pgg macrumors 65816

My dad and I both have the original Motorola Droid, and he decided to upgrade to the iPhone 4S, while I plan on upgrading to a new Android device (probably the Droid RAZR that's coming out next week.)

The iPhone UI is still unparalleled. Period. At the same time, Android has features that are hard for me to give up, i.e. free Google Navigation, taskbar, widgets, and customizability.

At this point it's really a matter of personal preference and what features are most important to you.

16. fjrabon macrumors regular

In the end, yes, of course all I care about is the end experience. But specs do matter when it comes to the end experience as well. A phone that is twice as fast is going to have a better user experience. It enables more possibilities from a software perspective, allows things to run more smoothly and just gives an overall better user experience.

A nice camera gives better pictures = better user experience. Not having to wait several seconds between pictures = better experience. Faster HPSA+ = better user experience. Maps downloading more quickly and rendering more quickly = better experience. Siri = (hopefully) better experience.

17. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I buy them every year because I like the way everything stays synced between multiple iPhones and my computer. I also have too much money invested in music to even want to think about any other phone.

18. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

I bought mine because apparently it makes me a superior human being.

19. Fixmy59bug macrumors newbie

I was a little more complicated than that...

You guys will probably say I finally saw the light. My friends say I drank too much kool-aid. LOL.

I have had an EVO 4G since launch day and have been happy with it since I got it set up correctly.

I actually had to root it and get an extended battery in order to get any sort of decent battery life from it. But at the same time, I don't get 4G because it is not available in my area. Still.

Then my laptop was dying. It started freezing, I started punching, buttons started flying... All good times.

Before this I was never an iProduct owner. I wasn't an Apple hater per se, but I would never even considering purchasing an apple product.

Then my laptop died and I needed a portable solution to store music, videos, and surf internet on. Conveniently, iPad 2 was just days away from being released. The day of pre-order, the impulse buyer in me took over and that was it. I was an iPad owner.

I was actually very impressed by it. It was fast, easy to use, (iTunes is a bitch but theres a way around that), lightweight, and the battery lasts forever.

Then came a defect. It was a manufacturing defect which didn't upset me because I was one of the first to order. So I accepted that there may be some flaws with a new product.

It was the warranty process that sold me on Apple. I walked into the local apple store and explained the defect (glass screen was delaminating). He looked it and confirmed it was defective and asked if I was ready to swap it out right then or did I need to back it up?

I told him I forgot to back up, so he handed me a piece pf paper and told me to back it up, come back whenever is convenient for me, and hand the first person I see the paper and iPad. They will know what to do.

I did just that. I went home and backed it up. The next day I walked into the store and politely told the greeter at the door "I was told to give you this (paper) and this (iPad), and you would know what to do." She walked me over to the Genius Bar where they swapped iPads, registered the new one in my name, and had me ready to go in about 3 minutes. I was so pleased with the level of service and professionalism that I decided to buy the AppleCare for it.

I also decided I would get the iPhone when it came to sprint. And I did.

So, Who's got the pitcher of Kool-aid? I think I need a refill.

20. ProMed12 thread starter macrumors member

This is the same for me. I'm guessing my disinterest is likely a result of unsatisfying experiences in the past with voice control in previous phones and cars. It will be fun though to see if Siri is able to noticeably improve my user experience.

----------

Are you this board's resident smartarse? There aren't millions of iPhone users here, which is what I asked. What wasn't asked was if my opinion was unique, but thanks for stating the obvious.

This is a discussion board, I was starting a discussion. If you were as intelligent as you try to act, you would have easily noticed that I was also using this thread to justify both my own opinions and my 4S purchase. But.. you went a different route.

21. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

Man that must suck having a 3g. Those days are like so 4 years ago!!! :D:D:D:D

Its cool for me to make fun of him cause he's my brother in law.

22. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

The simplicity of the phone and software is why most of my family/friends get it.

Father got lost every minute with his BlackBerry for several years yet found his way around the iPhone in a few hours.

23. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes.

24. ProMed12 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, specs play a role in the user experience. But my original post asked about having no demands for the newest/ best components.

I disagree that "a phone which is twice as fast is going to have a better user experience". It may, but very easily may not. imo.

25. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I like the "what can we do to make it right approach" whenever I walk into an Apple Store with a concern about one of my Apple products...:cool: