Does anyone else miss their iPhone 2g??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iGuyiGuy, Aug 19, 2010.

1. iGuyiGuy macrumors member

Not sure if this will stir up some interesting conversation but I have to ask this question..

I remember in 2007 when the original iphone was released, how excited I was, and how amazing the device seemed...

Then the 3g came out, and needless to say I was not pleased. With the plastic and just overall cheap feel, I could not believe they swayed away from the metal feel and the durability of the 2g...

Now apple chose to use GLASS for the iphone 4, it seems they continue to beg people to brake and replace their products..

Needless to say, after going through each release (I have had every iphone including the 4) I continue to use my 2g 16gig..

Anyone else here miss their trusty 2g??

2. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Sadly no, and only because I love the new look of the iPhone 4.

3. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

yeah i missplaced it somewhere...just using my iphone 4 for now till i find it..mobileme tells me its somewhere in a radius of 1 mile :confused:

4. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Negative sir. I didn't love the look of the iPhone 4 until I got mine. After that, I realized it's hands down the best device Apple's created. It's very well built (solid) and feels fantastic in the hands. Plus, the screen is unbelievable.

6. iGuyiGuy thread starter macrumors member

I thought so too when I got mine, however the first solid drop to the ground it shattered while my 2g would have just had a little scratch or dent..

7. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Best advice: Don't drop the phone or get a case, honestly. I'd sacrifice durability for looks any day.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

My original isn't getting use because it was dropped and the bottom 10 pixels of the screen don't respond to touch. The digitizer is busted.

9. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

10. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

I miss the ability to trust that no matter what I do with it, it'll withstand the abuse. Metal case > glass case. It still lives with my friend's wife after all these years.

11. iGuyiGuy thread starter macrumors member

Agreed!!

12. iGuyiGuy thread starter macrumors member

My guess is you are under 18 years old..

13. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Going on 26 this September. If I am going to spend a lot of money on a cellphone, I will take care of it and prevent as much abuse as possible.

My guess is you are younger then 18 because you want a phone you can "use and abuse" at your will. Most adults wouldn't have this kind of attitude towards something they spend $500+ on and know is somewhat fragile from the start.

14. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

15. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Same here. I like the design of the 4 well enough, but the original was just durable as hell. We still have two of them in the house, though mine's been relegated to occasional iPod status. My husband's is still going strong and so far he's not convinced he wants to switch to the 4.

But the camera, speed, and display of the new iPhone make the old one seem like an absolute dinosaur.

16. yezza macrumors regular

Hey Ryan, I still have my 2g (iPhone 4 should be in my hands Monday). I noticed in your second pic it looks like the aluminium back is warping on the side where it joins up with the black plastic end. Mine has this and I've been wondering about it for a while now. Am thinking it might be a swollen battery :confused:

17. Damo516 macrumors newbie

Nope as this is my first apple product and how pleased I now am after comparing it to my old SE and Nokia N97 :cool:

18. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

It's not swollen, I think. it's because the phone's been dropped so much that the casing is warped in at some areas and it juts out in others to compensate the load.

19. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

I just want an original iphone for streaming music in my house/yard etc...put it in my portable sound dock and run Tunein Radio app and play music everywhere I go around the house/yard

20. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

Nope. Still have and use my 1st generation 8GB every day.

I am sure everything is better on the 4 but I told myself I wouldn't buy another until it is available in a 64GB model.

My only complaint is battery life. But that has always been a complaint.

I think next year will be my year.

21. bluer101 macrumors regular

I still have 2 of them. I enjoy the speed and looks of the iPhone 4 but still like the feel of the original. I just use one to stream music in my theater room and one is sitting collecting dust.

22. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

I do very much....that thing was like a rock!

23. frikfrak macrumors regular

Hope this isn't considered thread-jacking but here goes.....

I have a 2g, with whatever the latest sw version is. Can I use it as an iPod Touch without jailbreaking? (Turn it on and it forces me to plug in to itunes and set up a contract.)

24. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

I'm loving the 4 and I think the feel of it is second to none. I'm coming the 3gs which feels like a toy after holding the 4.

25. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Don't miss the iPhone 2G. It's slow and works only on EDGE meaning that you can't surf and receive calls at the same time. Having calls get kicked to voicemail while receiving data was a major issue for me.