Does anyone else misses the cMBP (non-Retina MacBook Pro)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tubeexperience, Jul 9, 2016.

1. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

2.5" SSDs are now relatively cheap. You can get a 480 GB SSD for less than $100 and 960 GB SSD for less than $200.

16 GB DDR3L memory can be purchased for less than $50.

The cMBP can easily accept any 2.5" SSD. The optical drive can even be swapped out for a hard drive or a second 2.5" SSD. The memory can be easily upgraded.

Replacing the battery only requires removing a few screws and can be done in a few minutes.

Oh, and did I mention having a 17-inch screen option for those that want one?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Well, since you repeatedly beat this dead horse, we all know your thoughts on the subject. :rolleyes:

I certainly don't miss it, although I'm sure there are a few that do. I expect that Apple did their market research and understands what they can and can't sell. If they thought a large enough portion of the market wanted the computer you want them to sell, they'd be selling it.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

My first Mac was a 2012 MacBook Pro Retina and I prefer newer tech such as Retina displays & PCIe SSDs over lower-quality displays & slower SATA. Having an ODD in my laptop is not important, the 8 GB RAM configuration I got is still adequate. So my answer would be no.

4. tubeexperience, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016

tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

Is that what Apple did when it released the Apple Watch?

Were there also a lot of Mac Pro users that want a non-upgradable Mac Pro that looks like a trash can?

Isn't that why Apple keeps selling the non-Retina Mid-2012 MacBook Pro?

5. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

You forget they are still selling it, the same model from 2012! I'm sure it finds its niche in business & education, plus they probably have old stock to clear out.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Market research obviously isn't perfect, and you can't please everyone.

Apples actions lately have lead me to believe they don't care about the pro market.

If you think they'll actually keep selling it. It appears to be dying a slow death.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 9, 2016 ---
    Didn't really forget, I just don't expect it to be around for much longer.

7. TSE macrumors 68030

I just miss the 17" screen and aluminum screen bezel on the Anti-Glare models! Besides that, the improvements in the Retina models are well worth it.

8. seggy macrumors member

No, because the rMBP brought sorely needed improvements in cooling (among other tweaks). The machine wasn't durable enough nor expandable or powerful enough to be worthwhile carrying as a 'workstation' either. The rMBP's gets their priorities straighter and just plain work better.

9. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I love my 2012 classic MBP 13" I'm using this week over my 2015 retina 15" MBP. My 2012 warranty expires ob the 29th and I doubt I'll get AC for it. I really enjoy this MBP because it is a lot more quiet then the 2015. The fans will spin up full speed so easily on that machine, many times just by surfing the net. I have 16GB RAM in here but I still have the original HD in it. Don't need anything faster for my uses.

10. jerryk, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016

jerryk macrumors 68030

I don't miss the cMBP much. It was an old design drive by old use cases. No need for a DVD player these days. And the weight was too much. Plus the screen is low res compared to the retina.

I miss the user-replaceable memory and drives, but that has little to do with the rMBP's form factor or lightness. That was a marketing decision by Apple. Other thin laptops of the similar size to have a user-replaceable drive and memory

11. entropi macrumors 6502

nah, not much. I got a fully expanded MBP17 with SSD and even though the screen is superior to my mba11, the mba11 is the one I use and bring with me everywhere...