Does anyone else prefer clamshell mode with Thunderpolt Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by adelwich, Jul 30, 2014.

1. adelwich macrumors newbie

I have been using a 27" Thunderbolt display with my Macbook Pro for the past six months, and I absolutely love it.

For all of this time, I have been using two screens: the display and the Macbook screen. I have been using an external laptop stand, external keyboard, and external trackpad. Using clock coordinates, the display has been located at 10:00 on my desk, and the fully expanded Macbook is located at 2:00.

This works OK, but I sometimes feel that I'm missing out on the true advantages of the larger display. Because the screens are angled toward one another, I typically only focus on the right side of the widescreen display.

As an experiment, I put my laptop in clamshell mode and repositioned the display so it is directly in front of me. This *seems* to be an improvement, but I'm not sure if there is a better way to organize things. I realize that this is entirely subjective. Nevertheless, I would love to know if other users have a similar experience.

If you have a Macbook and an external monitor, do you run the Macbook in clamshell mode?

Thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I use a Macbook with TB display as my only machine and have always used clamshell mode. I tinkered with leaving it open at first and found I never really used the second screen much and it was just a distraction.

Also, by running in clamshell mode the MacBooks GPU can use all its power to drive the external monitor giving you faster graphics performance.

3. Epiphron macrumors regular

I think I prefer leaving it in clamshell mode so I can focus on the huge 27" display! Then when I need a second screen, I can just open it up to the side :)

Wondering if clamshell increases temps for anyone?

4. Acronyc macrumors 6502a

I recently got a TBD and use it only in clamshell mode. With a screen this size I don't really feel also using my rMBP screen makes that much of a difference, and with a Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad it's a great setup for me.

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I use mine in clamshell mode with a 23" ACD. I don't like using two different sized displays so using the MBP display next to the ACD is annoying to me. Before I retired I used two 19" displays connected to a Lenovo laptop. While they were centered in front of me I used the left as the primary and the right for other stuff.

6. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

Clamshell mode, certainly. On the rare occasion when I can make good use of more screen area, I plug in an older dell display alongside the TBD.

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

of course it's weird, you're staring at the space between the 2 monitors.

put the thunderbolt directly in front of you, and the macbook off to the side.
    use the thunderbolt for the main stuff, and the macbook for "reference" stuff. things you go to frequently, but not the main focus like imessage, mail or itunes.

8. adelwich thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to everyone for your opinions/suggestions. Waw74, I see what you're saying. Not exactly sure what caused me to think that arranging the displays in that way would make more sense. For now, I'm going to stick with the Thunderbolt display as an experiment. Later, if I'm craving a satellite screen for e-mail, music players, etc., I'll try moving and reopening the clamshell.