Does anyone else see the new MacBook Pro's "loud" keyboard as good sound feedback?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

People have complained a lot about the "loud" keyboard and yeah maybe it is, but I actually enjoy the "sound feedback." It's pretty satisfying hearing the keys click when I type.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

2. kuro123 macrumors newbie

kuro123

Honestly the keyboard isnt that loud at all. Maybe I am a quiet typer and i tend to glide my fingers between keys so I don't hit each key with too much pressure to the point where it sounds like i am a mad typer (lol). Anyway, I loveeee the clickey feedback sound.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not a fan of the keyboard, and I have no doubt that I would get used to the key travel and sound, but I also know I can be in situations where a louder keyboard could be a bit disruptive. My preference would be not have it so loud

4. Nearbuds macrumors newbie

Nearbuds

5. DanielDD macrumors 6502

I didn't noticed it, really. But now I cannot stand the lack of sound feedback on a older generation MacBook Pro.

6. SDColorado macrumors 68000

SDColorado

I thought that it was a little loud at first. Now I am not certain if I am just getting used to the sound, or if it has indeed mellowed with constant use. Edit: Or as you suggest, maybe I have simply adjusted my touch and amount of pressure I use.

7. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

I don't see it as feedback for typing. I wish it was more quiet. People have commented that my keyboard is loud or rather "the way I type" is loud ever since I got this laptop.

8. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

mine's just not loud at all !

i really have to punch the keyboard super hard to get it to make the click people complain about. i can't imagine typing that hard all the time. reminds me of when you have an upstairs neighbour who stomps when they walk. you're like, don't their feet hurt ?

9. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

It's not that loud...

I agree the audible feedback is nice.

10. s4yunkim macrumors regular

I like it as it gives me that nice feedback, probably the same reason I like having a mechanical keyboard. Maybe it's a psychological thing? Though I could see how loud keyboards would be kinda disruptive in a quiet environment with other people around. I just wish they keys were uniform in the way they click. Every (new) macbook pro I've typed on has different spots where keys sound/feel different.

Thumbs up for the dreamcast peeking out of the side of the video. :)

11. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

My 2016 MBP is actually pretty pedestrian as far as keyboard noise goes compared to the behemoth of a mechanical keyboard that I use at my desk- with Cherry MX Reds at that.

But yes, I can see how many people don't really want that kind of noise coming from their laptop. If I type just a bit calmer on my MBP, it makes significantly less noise.

12. jerryk macrumors 68040

But, that keyboard also has long key travel and is easy on the fingers when you type hard. Also like the physical function keys you can hit from muscle memory. I much prefer that style of keyboard.

13. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

Mine doesn't sound that loud to me and I like the sound feedback too.

14. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

I should have noted, that isn't mine :oops: - I borrowed it from YT. I chose it since the IBM M keyboard is arguably the holy grail of keyboards, and I just love the sound.

I'm currently using one of these with Cherry MX Brown mechanical switches.
    2017-03-13 15.49.15.jpg

It doesn't have quite as nice a sound as the IBM M (or the Cherry MX Blues), as it's a tactile but not a clicky switch (I love the clicky sound, but the walls are so thin here that the clicking at 3 AM could make the other residents a little unhappy!)

I love mechanical too. And I think it is somewhat physical and somewhat psychological, because I can type faster with the tactile feedback, use the sound to get into a pattern of rhythmic thinking, and can find my home keys easier. But also, when I hear the sounds my mechanical keyboard makes, I feel like I am getting a lot of work done with all those sounds of productivity!

I wish a company like Corsair offered a Mac-oriented mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX switches in Apple colors. For me, it is such a big improvement in the overall experience of use!!!

15. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah I mean usually a lot of library keyboards are loud and it's not like Starbucks is necessarily quiet or that a few keyboard clicks on my new MacBook Pro is going to ruin someone's day...

16. jerryk macrumors 68040

MX Browns are the switches I put in all my keyboards. I love these things. As you say, not overly clicky but lots of travel and great feel.

FWIW, I have used several PC mechanical keyboards with Macs and not had any issues with the key mappings.

17. MrGuder macrumors 68020

I didn't mind the click feedback but what I didn't like was how the sound was not uniform across the keyboard. The outer keys were almost silent and the inner keys were much louder than expected and that gave it a weird feedback to me.

As a side note, you sure ask a lot of questions/threads. Lol

18. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah hopefully the mod gods don't mind, I just like to chat about relevent Macbook things.

Back to your post, for me it's opposite. The outer keys are loud and the inner are more quiet.

It's all good though regarding the sound I like it a lot. It feels like I'm working hard lol