Does anyone else still want a Powerbook G5?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Frisco, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

I waited, hoped and dreamed of getting one, but it never happened.

I read Macrumors daily updates to see the latest news (kind off like iPhone on Verizon).

I know it's been years since we knew the PowerBook G5 would never happen, after the Intel announcement.

But last night I had a dream of owning a PowerBook G5. It was incredible.

I still hope to one day find one--I am sure there were a few test models in the wild and maybe someone still has one.

I miss the Apple/IBM/Motorola days.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I can't say that I want a PowerBook G5, as it would be slower than what I have currently.

Although this thread might be of interest to you. A PowerBook with a processor that is neither G3 nor G4. :p

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

At one point in time... Obviously not now.

I do like the name though. Can't imagine going to a non-unibody machine at this point (amonst a million other problems)

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The reason they never made one was because the G5 processor was WAY too hot to fit into a laptop. The G5 iMac was HOT, so imagine what a G5 LAPTOP would be like :eek:

5. cubiczech macrumors newbie

no, after i had a Powermac G5 dual 2GHz, dumbed down G5, like slower G5 iMac with single core G5 and lower frequency. G4 will be faster... and G4 was really slow when the PPC on Powerbooks died in 2006, atleast it was more compatible with older apps. ... shame that all PPC fail happened because Motorola low frequencies on PPC and power hungry dumbed down "cluster computing" IBM PPC architecture... it was more like Pentium 4 (Netburst architecture), which largery depends on fast memory and high clock rates.

I just miss the PowerBook and PowerMac names.... it would look great on unibody glass... and also something like cube... miniature quadcore beast with one silent fan...