Does anyone else think the lowest brightness setting is too bright after 2.2 update?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Jpok, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Jpok macrumors newbie

This is annoying me, and I want to find out if it's just my iPod Touch 2g, or if others noticed the change. Usually I read documents on the iPod at night, and always on the lowest brightness setting with auto-brightness off. After the 2.2 update, the lowest setting with auto-brightness off became way too bright for me to read with it at night. I have to hold the screen further away from me, and tilt it away from my face so that I'm not looking directly into the light. Many times I said "There's NO WAY this is the lowest setting!" and I go to change the settings, and I find that it IS the lowest setting.

Another change I noticed was that when the slider was on the lowest setting, switching the auto-brightness on always raised the brightness a notch. Now switching the auto-brightness on / off doesn't automatically change the lowest setting.

Does anybody know if there exists some kind of dark transluscent screen cover I can put over the iPod screen in order to darken it?

2. acedew macrumors member

My lowest brightness setting doesn't appear to have changed at all. I use mine at night in the dark, and it's not any brighter than it used to be. That's kind of weird...don't really know what to do about it.

3. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Mine doesn't appear to have changed at all, although the auto-brightness adjustor has become more accurate for what I can tell.

4. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

My lowest brightness setting seems to be lower than before.

Or am I just going blind ;)

5. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I have to agree with this assessment, especially the auto-brightness part (although it's using my 3-week old 2G with much less user experience on my part...I haven't upgraded my 1G to 2.2 and probably will not)

Mike

6. Jpok thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any advice?

Do you think maybe I should restore again?
    Shouldn't all of the hardware on the 2G iPods be the same, so that the update should have the same effect on everyone? How could mine be different? (If that's the case . . . I'd still like to hear from at least some-one who frequently uses the lowest setting with Auto-Brightness off for night-reading).

There doesn't seem to be anything else peculiar about my iPod. The only other strange thing is the when trying to install the update, the first time it didn't work and gave me an error, then it had to retry the install, and it worked on the second shot. BUT, when it was doing a super-long sync after the firmware was updated (because it had to reinstall all my apps since everything was wiped out after the error), although iTunes was saying that the iPod was syncing, the iPod did not display the "syncing" screen, but rather allowed me to use the apps like normal. It was a little choppier than normal, and I could see the home screen slowly fill up with apps as they were being installed. I though it was a new feature of the 2.2 update! Unfortunately, that was the only time I was able to sync without it locking the iPod screen.

7. acedew macrumors member

As I said, I use mine almost nightly on the lowest brightness setting, and I always have the auto-brightness feature disabled. I haven't noticed any change. Maybe you should un-sync all of your apps and then try the install again or restore the iPod.

8. culero macrumors newbie

Same here.

Howerver, I can't do anything about it at the moment. My computer is in repairs.

9. Jpok thread starter macrumors newbie

Did full restore . . . no luck

I did the full restore and it took over 3 hours.

I was hoping this would fix my problem, but unfortunately it didn't. The brightness was still way too bright at the lowest setting.

If anybody finds a solution to this problem, can they please post it in this thread?

Thank you.

10. kyto macrumors member

I don't know of any solution but I have also found that the brightness is higher than before. I think it is because before after the default minute the screen's backlight would almost turn off (was the lowest brightness setting) but now if you wait a minute you see that it actually gets darker. Don't know why they did this...

11. Jpok thread starter macrumors newbie

Screen brightness returned to normal for 1 night...

Ok, something strange happened. One night I was reading in bed, and holding the iPod a good distance away from my face so as to avoid the bright annoying light (lowest brightness setting, auto-brightness off). Then I had to go somewhere for a minute, so I put the iPod to sleep, set it on a counter, and came back a minute later. Now when I brought back the iPod from sleep, the brightness was at its "normal" lowest brightness setting from before the update, in other words it was nice and low! The problem was solved! I couldn't figure out what it was that could have done this change. I certainly didn't do anything out of the ordinary to the iPod. For the rest of that night before I went to sleep (maybe another 10 minutes or so) the brightness stayed at a comfortably low setting. I even tried putting it to sleep and taking it out, and it still stayed low!
    Unfortunately, by the next day and from then on I never experienced that comfortably low setting anymore. It was always just a little too bright. For this reason I'm guessing it's a bug that only happens to certain iPods. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next update. I'm also pretty certain that the problem is not widespread, because it's literally too bright for reading at night, and there would be many more complaints on the forums.