Does anyone else use Cubase 5?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Dozerrox, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

I have a legit copy, and it was my favourite DAW, still is to a certain extent. However, I made my last tune completely in Ableton and it was so smooth and didn't crash once, I've gone back to finish an older track in Cubase and it's crashed on me a few times this morning already.

I wish it would just throw up an error instead of totally bringing down the DAW if it's a plugin problem. Would that be ridiculously hard for them to implement? I don't know.

Anyway, bit of a rant. I just make sure I save every ten seconds.

What's other people's experiences with their DAW's stability on their macs?

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Pro-Tools, Ableton and Reason have been terrible for me ever since 10.6. I've been using Windows 7 and it's a breath of fresh air. Not once have they crashed for me in Windows, and yet 10.6 made them pretty much unusable.

3. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Cubase runs ok...but not as smooth as logic. How can you have a mac and not run logic? :)

4. RHELF macrumors member

I had run Cubase for years on my old PC's. Started with SX3, then upgraded to 4 then 5 and learned them all inside and out. Got my first mac a few months ago and naturally installed Cubase 5. I demo'd Logic 9 on a friend's computer and I was completely hooked and had to go buy my own copy. Cubase is still a great program, but it seems that for all the menus and screens you have to go through in order to do "fill in the blank" or get to "fill in the blank" it can be done much faster and in a much more intuitive way in logic.

Of course, each person has their own favorite DAW. I just find I am working a lot faster and more efficiently in Logic since I made the switch. Also, Logic hasn't crashed on me once since I have been using it. That was a big issue I had with Cubase.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Cubase runs ok...but not as smooth as logic. How can you have a mac and not run logic?"

I'll reply.

Logic _can't touch_ Cubase insofar as audio editing is concerned.

I've never seen ANY audio software that makes selecting, copying, moving and altering sound clips as easy as Cubase does.

You don't have to open an "editing window". Sound can be fully edited/processed "in place". Perhaps that can be done in Apple's other audio apps, but in my experimentations with them, I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Out of all the "higher-up" audio apps, I find that Cubase has the "right blend" of power vis-a-vis ease of use.

Things that one can do intuitively with Cubase, do NOT seem so "intuitive" in Logic.

Again, just my opinion from using it. Others' ideas may be different.

6. mark28 macrumors 68000

I'm a long time Cubase user, from the first SX all the way up to 5.

Now that I got a Macbook Pro, I went with Logic 9. And some things Logic does, doesn't even make sense.

The only thing that impressed me about Logic is side-chaining. This is where Logic beats Cubase 5.

And Logic is not really logical. Why having different pointers to do easy things like quantize. With Cubase you just right click and you can do anything you want from a drop down menu.

But as far as stabilities goes, not a single crash yet.

7. fury88 macrumors newbie

I just got my first Mac Pro this week and I am in the process of moving my Cubase 5 install over to it. I have the Hexacore 3.33Ghz chip with 6GB RAM. I love Cubase. I've had it since version 3 also. I've tried Logic and Cubase just seems so much more intuitive to me. Can't wait to get up and running with all my VST's.

8. dainja macrumors member

My studio desktop runs Cubase 5.5.1 64 bit / Win7 64 bit
    I also have a Macbook Pro running 5.5.1 and SL

PCs have significantly better performance with Cubase than Macs, on a computer with the same specs. This is especially true at lower buffer settings. This is based on my own experience and benchmark results at DAWBench.com

The Cubase VSTBridge is terrible and I get crashes fairly often. Even for plugins I use jBridge for, running a 64 bit sequencer is less than ideal.

What I love about Cubase is the the way it handles audio and the mixer. Amazing. It's also really nice to have a cross-platform sequencer: I can write riffs on the MBP when I'm travelling and finish the tracks in my studio at home.

9. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

I was a Cubase user - from early SE/ SX - but when I switched to Mac, I moved to Logic. Much smoother, more reliable, less crashing. If you're a power user, takes a little while to relearn the new programe, but I found it totally worth it...

10. happle macrumors 6502a

reason has not crashed on my mac in the two years iv had it. and my friends had reason for 5 years and he said it has never crashed on him.

so idk what the kid was talking about saying that reason crashes..

reason has been known for being one of the most stable daw on BOTH pc and mac