Does anyone else's DS touchscreen feel rougher in the middle?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Chone, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

My DS is practically new I've owned it for 2-3 weeks I think but I've noticed the touchscreen feels rougher in the middle, the resistance is practically none so it doesn't interfere but the feeling is annoying with the stylus (especially considering how smooth the edges feel :(), is this normal?

It isn't scratched or anything and visibly there isn't any difference but when you slide the stylus over the middle... it's very rough and kind of annoying

2. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Strange. I aint owned one for a while, but it didn't feel like that when I did.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nope, but I'm very careful with my gadgets.

I have just noticed that if you apply pressure to the bezel around the touchscreen it thinks the screen is being touched.

4. Chone thread starter macrumors 65816

Chone

I think it's those damn circle markers in Elite Beat Agents.

Well anyways, a better word to describe it would be grainy but it comes and go, for example the other night I was playing Dementium and it was great but yesterday it was all grainy.

A friend told me that it happened to him too cleaning the screen got rid of it... what can I use to clean the screen? Is water just fine?

I'm taking good care of my DS too, like I said, the screen isn't scratched at all and the stylus glides just as well but the grainy feeling... it's so annoying... I can live with it but I'm worried it might be a manufacturing defect especially considering the recent rumours of Nintendo downgrading the quality of recent DS Lite screens.

5. slowpoke macrumors regular

slowpoke

I use one of those cleaning cloths Specsavers gives me free with a pair of glasses. No liquid needed.

6. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I hve one of those protective plastic bits on my DS screen. When that one starts to show wear I'll put a new one on. No sense in marring up the DS screen with the stylus.

7. Chone thread starter macrumors 65816

Chone

I just cleaned it with a microfiber cloth and water and the grainy feeling went away (at least I didn't notice it anymore playing Dementium where it bothered the most) but I still think it might be a good idea to put a protector on the screen, do they add any friction to the screen or distort the image in any way?

8. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Nope. They work pretty well. The biggest issue I have had is that there's a spec of dirt or two trapped between it and the screen causing a small bubble. You can only really see them with the screen off though. I have questioned on one or two occasions whether the protector has inhibited tap detection.. but that doesn't seem to be the case.