Does anyone else's MBP not got to sleep automatically?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by afultz075, May 12, 2008.

1. afultz075 macrumors member

I noticed about a month ago at school that no matter how long I kept the lid open on my MBP it would never go to sleep after 35 minutes like it is supposed to. I figured that it was because someone was always accessing my iTunes library. Now that i've been home for a few days I notice that it never goes to sleep automatically as well. No one is connected to iTunes and no internet programs are running to keep it from going to sleep.

I don't see anything wierd in Activity Monitor that would suggest why it's not sleeping on it's own. I called Apple today and after an SMC reset didn't fix the problem of course they are convinced it's my third-party OWC RAM that's causing the problem (which has worked fine for the last 10 months and well before this sleep issue started).

Just to be safe, I popped in the RAM from my friends MBP and it does the same thing. In fact, we found out that his MBP has the exact same issue as mine does, it simply will not sleep on it's own when it's supposed to. Is anyone else having this issue? :apple:

2. afultz075 thread starter macrumors member

3. MacBookProJoe macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

Im sorry, I havent experienced anything like that. All my controls work correctly.

4. enkidu macrumors newbie

Haven't had that problem. Have you looked in Activity Monitor or checked your startup items to see if anything weird was in there?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

6. afultz075 thread starter macrumors member

I just diasbled my screensaver with no effect.

What is an example of something abnormal in my Activity Monitor.

Is it at all possible that this is a logic board issue even though it sleep fine manually?

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It possible something is using the computer when you think it's idling. Sometimes a program can prevent the computer from shutting down.

I usually keep a freshly installed external drive handy to see if this is a hardware or software issue.

8. afultz075 thread starter macrumors member

Are there any common programs out there that are notorious for always being active and not letting the computer idle?

9. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I doubt its a hardware issue. Probably a pesky little software.

10. afultz075 thread starter macrumors member

I'm starting to think that too but I have no idea as to what piece of software to blame.

11. finger11 macrumors member

OS X 10.5.4, MBP 2.2 C2D

I have this same issue; if I close the lid, it sleeps fine however it just won't sleep after the specified period of inactivity.

Did the OP (or anyone else) find a solution by any chance?