Does anyone else's office engage in "yankee swaps"?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Nykwil, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

I never get used to taking aka "swapping gifts" from people. :(

This yr I'm gunna purchase an extra crummy gift, just so i can see it get swapped around and then enjoy the look on the poor sap's face when they're stuck with it.

I don't get it, but the last 2 places I've worked at religiously did the whole yankee swap thing.

I'm debating between these 3 items:

Balls Soap
    http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urba...price&navCount=6&navAction=poppushpush&color=

Poo Log
    http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urba...price&navCount=6&navAction=poppushpush&color=

Stuff White People Like

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

IMHO if you don't like it, don't do it. To go and get the worst gift you can possibly get just shows that you are a scrooge. Not trying to insult, but, to me gift giving is to watch the joy of the person receiving the gift not to give a gift to take joy in someone's misery of receiving that gift. Just bad taste.... :mad:

3. Nykwil thread starter macrumors 65816

Nykwil

haha yeah I guess you make a good point. Maybe I shouldn't join in...but...it's not like everyone else buys gifts that people will enjoy...it's usually gag gifts...last year i got a book on advertisements of the 70's...

4. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

That's part of the fun though. If you get a "gag" gift to make ppl laugh and have a good time then fine. But you wanted to get a gift that you could laugh at them when they showed a negative emotion to opening it. Not fine.

Like I said, if you don't want to participate then don't, but that also means that if they look at you to pick a gift you need to say "I pass, I did not bring one". In doing gift swapping you should bring one to receive one.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

6. Nykwil thread starter macrumors 65816

Nykwil

7. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I need to get this. I have the USB dog humping the computer one already. Makes me laugh and others laugh. Great fun.... :D

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You never know.. it might actually make you some money. People tend to throw dollar bills at strippers. :)

9. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Good point... :D

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Bloody hell. That's brilliant!

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i got fish food:confused:

then someone got my present which was a board game

we call it white elephant here

12. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

We do a similar thing in my office called Secret Santa. Everyone puts their names in a hat and everyone draws one each- you buy that person a gift but don't put your name on it or let on it's from you. The limit is usually £5 or £10, it's kind of pointless as people usually opt to get each other drink. I'm getting the girl I got either some nice wine or a bottle of JD... :rolleyes:

13. Nykwil thread starter macrumors 65816

Nykwil

Secret santa isn't as...confrontational as Yankee swap cuz you're all sitting there and you pick a random gift on the table and you decide if you wanna steal someone else's gift or keep the one you picked

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I've never heard it called "Yankee Swap" before, but that's probably because you use the Americanised version of the name.

15. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Hmm... Yankee Swap. Tell you what. You may come get all our Yankees. Any reasonable offer accepted.:D