Does anyone else's TB 13" MBP feel like a product still in Beta?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blahbrah, Nov 19, 2016.

1. blahbrah macrumors 6502

I've owned my TB 13" MBP for roughly 2 days now and I've yet to have a single bootup where it isn't plagued by some bizarre display issue or performance issue. The first restart resulted in the emoji touchbar somehow ending up on the screen as it's own window. The second restarted created some strange stuttering for the mouse and the most recent bootup is plagued with a flickering in iTunes.

This is by far the most unstable Mac I've ever owned and I'm coming from a 2011 MBP with the same geekbench scores as the 2009 MBA.

2. kwandrews macrumors 6502

I have a NT 13" and exchanged for a 15" base model. I didn't notice anything like that with either. It sounds like your Mac may have an issue. I'd take it to an Apple Store to have it looked at and possibly exchanged for another. Most stores seems to have the non-BTO models in stock right now...or at least a decent selection.

3. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

Yeah, no issues on mine either. I've only been on it for the last 4 hours or so but I have rebooted it a few times with no issues. I'd take it back or maybe have it looked at.

4. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

Between here, and Reddit, I've heard more complaints on the 13" TB Pro than any first-gem Apple product in a long time. In the Apple Store, of the 6 they had displayed, I don't think one of them looked good, between really 'dirty' displays (switch between white pages (aka Safari windows) in full screen ... you'll see it!), yellow displays, non-responsive touch bar, or just plain laggy when I opened up 3+ apps.

I wasn't planning on buying one necessarily, but after seeing them in store, I'm almost certainly not. Not the 13", anyway.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do you think maybe you have a defective computer and exchanging it will resolve the issue?

I wonder if some of that is Sierra, because I've seen a consistent complaints about Sierra in general about odd graphical issues, this may be an extreme example of Apple having some buggy graphical drivers.

6. markusberger macrumors member

I don't own a 2016 MBP but on my other Macs (all on the latest Sierra) I have graphical glitches. It would be understandable on the custom Mac, but my Pro and Air also show the same (!) vertical line every once in a while when I use apps in fullscreen. Every once in a while I also get strange rainbow artifacts popping up for a millisecond right after the login screen ... so it really might be some Sierra issue...

7. blahbrah thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, some issues sadly persist from my old computer like the computer forgetting to ignore the trackpad every time I restart, but increasingly I'm considering exchanging this for a new one once I'm done with finals in graduate school.

8. Patron_Saint Suspended

I went for the non TB base. So far more stable than my former 2015 15", and a bit faster in the day to day type stuff.

So far no hiccups, but I did have issues on my 15" 2015 now and then.

I will say though, testing the non TB and TB models side by side left me feeling like the TB was a bit less polished. It lacked that sort of refined feeling apple products usually have.