Does anyone ever click...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ClutchThese, Jan 24, 2011.

1. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

Anyone ever click the ads in their free apps?

I'm debating to keep ads or charge a buck for an app.

Thoughts?

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Dont click them. I always buy the free app and ignore the ad

3. troy14 macrumors 6502a

I clicked them on accident. If the app is good enough / I use it enough (sorry but a useful app I use once a month I'm not going to buy) then I will just purchase the no ads version. Support the dev! (If I use it enough!)

4. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I never click on ads. But I will pay for an app if I feel it's good and I'll be using it often.

5. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I click ads now and then... but only iAd's because I'm interested to see what they look like/offer..

ones that take me out of the app I don't click.

But again, for $1 you could offer two.. ad supported and a paid version

6. ClutchThese thread starter macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

... Splendid.

I can see that there are many people that do that.

The thing is, developers have a chance to make a great deal on ads.

Maybe it's just because I'm a developer, but I always click ads to help the app owner out.

It def makes it worth while for the developer if people do that. They can make upwards of a $1.50 per click! I'd say that's a fair trade for a free app!

7. troy14 macrumors 6502a

I can see how that would be very profitable for a developer.

I hardly even look at the ads - let alone click them. I might not be your target demographic though - I don't sit on my phone for hours and hours LOOKING for stuff to do. When I pull my phone out, I'm planning to do something. Whether it be text, use an app for something (very seldom play games), etc. I'm gonna do what I need to do and put the phone back away.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I only click on Ads that advertise other free apps or games. Most of the time I don't even notice ads.

9. jdusoccer12 macrumors regular

I love clicking on iAds because some of them are cool and I know that they help out the developers. I wish there was more iAds out there for other things then apps because some are fun to play with.

10. ClutchThese thread starter macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

Thank you all for your replies!! I appreciate it.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I never click the ads and would prefer to pay for an ad free version
    I find them to be obtrusive and distracting on the screen

12. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

I NEVER click the ads. I'm too busy and they are dreadfully annoying. Especially on my iPhone with it's tiny 3.5" display.

I'd much rather buy the ad free version. So much that less than 2% of my Apps are free. And that's only because the developer has not created an ad free version (yet). I always send an email to the dev asking for a paid add free version. The moment it becomes available, I'm thrilled to pay for it.

13. ClutchThese thread starter macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

That's awesome that you contact the dev and ask for that. I'm planning to provide two at this point, iAd(free) and .99 (iAd free). :)

I just know that the free version has the potential to make a great deal of income, was just wanting a feeler for who clicks and why. Great posts guys(and gals)!

14. saberahul macrumors 68040

That is the way many others do it. I don't click on ads... I ignore them. If the Ad takes half the screen I delete the app. If the Ad keeps on popping up I delete the app. If the app serves useful purpose and is worth the price - I purchase it. This would exclude fart apps and so on.
    Some have been smart enough to put ads in the correct place. There is an entire study on ergonomics and where certain things can be put. As I am an Industrial Engineer - I can suggest studying therblig idea on motion study.

15. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Never click ads and don't use apps that have them. Prefer ad free or bust.

16. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

One of the issues with iAds is they consume data, and with many folks on a capped plan -- they may be wary of these dipping unnecessarily into their monthly data bucket.

Yes, I realize most of us on this forum are savvy enough to know that the amount of data used by an iAd is tiny in the grand scheme of things. But the uneducated masses can be more adverse to this data usage.

Didn't realize, though, that iOS developers get that much dough for an iAd click. Being a fellow developer, I'll help out when I have the time. :)

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Same here. I'm not against paying a buck or two for a decent app.

18. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Only on accident. some apps put them in places where you are so likely to hit by mistake. It may work to get revenue short term, but I will be sure to avoid that app and the developer after a few mis-clicks.

I am always willing to pay for a quality app, but do offer a free version if possible. I write off so many apps because they cost and I have no way to give it a feel first.

19. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Only on accident, but I'm not really opposed to them. I think only one(?) of my apps is ad supported anyway.

20. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

is that each click per phone or every single click? so like someone can sit there and click on the ad 20 times per day... would you get paid for each of those 20 times?

21. 0815 macrumors 68000

If it is a good app, I click the ad in support of the developer. If I really like the app and there is in-app upgrade to remove ads, I buy it. That way I can try it for free and support the developer if I like it (either buy clicking ads or upgrading).
    with iAd it is now even entertaining to click on the ads - they are so much better than the AdMob crap that yanks you out of the application for no good reason -> adMob I only click if I'm done with what I want to do, iAd I click for entertainment.

If it is a bad app, I don't click the ads and remove it ...

22. ClutchThese thread starter macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

It's each click!!

Doesn't matter what phone or who clicks it!

23. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

wow then I would say make it an AD app. It would be awesome if you can pick and choose which ads, so you can add some intruiging ones which would tempt people to click.

24. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I only click if it's an iAd, because they don't take me out of the app, and it addition to that sometimes they are fun to mess around with. If it's any other type of add, I never click it, because they pull me out of the app, and they are normally tacky and cheaply put together.

-Don

25. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I don't unless it's by accident. Like others have mentioned before, having an ad supported free app as well as a full paid app would work well. I'd be more inclined to pay for an app knowing that it was ad free. Even some of the paid apps I have now have apps in them and it's annoying as hell.