Does anyone ever use the green/+ button in every OS X windows?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Loa, Jul 14, 2009.

?

Do you ever use the green/+ button on every OS X windows?

1. Never

45 vote(s)
    37.2%
  2. Rarely

48 vote(s)
    39.7%
  3. Regularely

28 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

2. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

Only in iTunes. Seems that the re-sizing in other windows is just too inconsistent for my taste.

3. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

The green button is so inconsistent as to be worthless. I find, however, that I don't need windows maximized, as many applications with complex controls are multi-windowed anyways.

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

5. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

I think the only time I've really ever used it was in Finder while drilling down several folders and wanting to see several layers deep in the window.

6. jstizzle macrumors newbie

jstizzle

I use the green resizing button when i move a window from one screen to the other. I find it especially valuable when you move a window from a larger screen to a smaller one.

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I find the button quite random. Sometimes it does its own thing.

I really feel Apple should revamp it and make its use consistent across OS X.

8. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

That's exactly my problem with it. I'd really like Apple to tell us exactly what it's supposed to do.

Loa

9. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

In all honesty, I hardly ever use ANY of the buttons on OS X windows, period. Don't use the red/x button, as I like to actually QUIT applications. Don't use yellow/-, as I don't like the way the dock works/looks with minimized windows (and with spaces/exposé, I don't need to, anyway). Don't use the green/+ because it is inconsistant and I would rather resize manually. I feel like OS X is more keyboard-based, anyway, so for me the "stoplight" is really just there for show, lol...

10. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

I agree, the button seems random and runs the same purpose as the "I'm feeling lucky" button in google.
    That linked with the fact that you can only resize a window using the bottom right corner is a bit of a pain.
    You would have thought Apple would have given us the facility to stretch a window from wherever you dragged it? too much coding I guess or maybe when you have the option, your OS starts crashing like winblows :p

11. freesonwang macrumors member

Agreed.

12. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I tried to explain the green button to someone here in what must have been one of my more incoherent and ridiculous posts ever.

In essence it was describing when you open up Firefox, make it full screen by dragging the bottom right corner, hitting the green button to see what it does (resizing to the size of the site you are at), hitting the green button again (returning you where you were), then manually resizing the window to a small box (much smaller than the site you are on), hitting the green button (resizing to the site again), and then hitting it again (it doesn't go back to where it was).

Was pointless, but just showed me how worthless the green button is. It's even more erratic when using it in the Finder it seems.

13. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

If I remember correctly, Mac OS Classic allowed you to do that. But I'm not sure.

Loa

14. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I rarely, if ever, use the buttons on the top of the windows. Instead to minimize I do cmd+m, to close I do cmd+w. I also do cmd+q to quit rather than going to the menu.

To resize, I drag the corner.

15. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

No, only in iTunes to get the mini player. Otherwise the window will end up like this:

Attached Files:

16. 1ne macrumors regular

I used it all the time. It is suppose to give you the best view, I guess.

And many time it does gives me the best view without resizing it. Agreed that resizing a window using the bottom right corner is a bit of a pain.

17. freesonwang macrumors member

I thought I was the only person who got that! What is up with Firefox and the green button?

18. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

Is "regularely" somewhere between rarely and regularly?

19. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I use it fairly often. It always does exactly what I expect, which is make it so I don't have to scroll if possible. I've used it on Safari windows several times today.

jW

20. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

I don't use any of the buttons up there very often but I like the subtle color they add to the desktop environment.

21. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

I use it sometimes.

I believe its purpose is to size the window so that you don't have any scroll bars, if possible (won't always be so easy for the vertical scroll bar).

So for instance, long webpages, you'll probably notice fill the screen top to bottom, but not width wise, thats because theres no need to fill up width wise.

22. macuser154 macrumors 6502

I only use it with iTunes. I have even stopped using maximise in Windows now.

23. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Re: Firefox, they completely fake the interface so it doesn't behave in the standard way. No real OS X Cocoa window would resize so small that controls overlap.

I use the green button to resize my Safari window when I switch from laptop to 24" Cinema, other than that never really.

24. wankey macrumors 6502a

Only 19/70 use it regularly eh. Apple, you need to improve the button! Option clicking the green button should maximize the app to screen.

25. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I don't use any of the streetlight buttons. I don't like the zoom function, because it is so inconsistent; I don't like the minimize button, because it's a chore to resume it unlike Windows; and I use command+W for the red button. If I had my way windows would only have the red button, even though that really isn't necessary.