Does anyone fall into this category?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Harmush, May 29, 2009.

1. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8073068.stm

Do you think they will actually start cutting people off? I agree with the ISP it isn't their job to police the web, and I don't think file sharing is all that bad. But then spose i most people who use it, do download films not just for their own use but to sell knock off in work or down the pub.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I wouldn't want to say anything that might incriminate myself on a public forum.

(This is both serious and a little :p)

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Umm.. Well, I only download millions and millions of gigas of anime, japanese drama and stuff only cause it ain't available here. Most of it hosted over at site like youtube. :p is that incriminating?

4. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

I fall into that, but i am not in that country or continent. I think i do more than average actually. But i don't think that you can get prosecuted for it in my country. At least i have never heard of it...

5. Harmush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Harmush

I understand why. But I Don't Think what you said in MacRumors:Forums would hold up in a court of law...

It might be copyright if its on youtube. And yeah thats why I torrent a lot of... anime and stuff.

6. theimacdude macrumors member

theimacdude

File sharing is just the way it works. Companies still make money in the billions, it just sounds like they're being greedy wanting more and more. More people go and see/buy the stuff than use things like Pirate Bay.However, lets face it, its always going to happen, its practically unstoppable.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What about when they aren't RIAA/MPAA productions?

8. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

if they banned everyone in the UK who used torrents there would not be many people left, why would the ISP's want to lose all that money????

9. djellison macrumors 68020

I'm sick of software and movie/music industry people saying

"Right, one million downloads, multiply by £16.99 per disk - that's COST US £17 MILLION"

No it hasn't. This false assumption that without the world of downloading, every single download would actually be a purchase is so totally totally wrong it's not even an attempt at honesty.

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I agree with you… but now the cash hungry/strapped UK government is saying "oooh this is costing the economy tens of billions of pounds"… in other words: …"we're losing out on loads of stuff we can tax!"

If the government thinks they are losing out on tax revenue they will get their backsides into action.
    And we all know how that'll go.
    :eek:

As to which category I fall into?
    Hmm. No comment.
    [​IMG]

11. Harmush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Harmush

if i didn't download, i don't think i would even be bothered about films and that.. your right. most downloads wouldn't be a purchase anyway.

12. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Sort of like moonshine and marijuana? haha
    If it can't be taxed, it's illegal. :rolleyes: