Does anyone find the Health app in iOS 8 intrusive?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by KhunJay, Sep 20, 2014.

1. KhunJay macrumors regular

KhunJay

Im conscious about my privacy....but obviously that is the price you pay to keep up with the latest tech....ive gotten slightly used to tech firms knowing more about me than i care to share with total strangers like them, and ive figured out ways to feed them wrong info abt myself...but with this health app they are going to be in possession of my weight, height, body fat %, bmi, lean body mass, bp....wow!

Isnt there. Reason medical records are meant to be confidential....i will not be using this app ever.....i run without a phone taped to my arm.

2. epphllps macrumors 6502

Those really aren't that big of a deal. Do you know how many apps use just that small set of data anyways? I'm an RN and also have a biomechanics degree on top of it and I can just look at you and guess all of that outside of BP. So not a huge issue here. It is the information beyond these very basics that is being protected by laws.

Basically, what you are complaining about is the very data that someone skilled (or not) can look at you and gather themselves. Plenty of apps already use this information if you choose to use those apps. This is far from an invasion of privacy and more like people just picking something to complain about. The health app on here isn't much of a big deal at this point coming from a healthcare professional. I love this stuff and think it will make more people aware of their health. Who cares if Apple knows these basics? It is the people with access to you electronic medical records that you need to be concerned with lol.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Here is a good artilce on how Apple's privacy policy regarding iOS and the HealthKit app are implemented.

Why Apple's HealthKit and HomeKit privacy rules are a huge advantage

4. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

I don't find health thing helpful at all. I am fit. I exercise. I don't need to keep track of what I do.
    Only overweight or unhealthy people will benefit from this.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I don't think that is a fair statement to make. I believe many people, regardless of their health and fitness status could benefit from it, if they choose to use it. Being fit and healthy is one thing, but using tools available to one to assist in maintaining that status is another thing.

6. KhunJay, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

KhunJay thread starter macrumors regular

KhunJay

You may be able to guess my weight and bmi just by looking at me but you wont have the other info about me to build a complete profile.....apple has all this multiplied by a few million users....that is worrying to me because i am not comfortable with anyone apart from a health organisation bound by secrecy laws to have access to my health data....there is no legislation that stipulates how apple can behave with our health data so we have to believe tim cook....i dont know about anyone else but that does not insoire much confidence.
    I understand apple says that the data remains encrypted on the device and users decide which app to share it with.....i am not sure that is enough. Once an app siphons off your info they could get kicked off the app store but by then the damage will be done.

7. Zxxv Suspended

you have to put all those things in. iPhone doesn't just fill them in magically. so don't enter the info= problem solved. or am I missing something? all it knows is you move around

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

You could just bury the app in some hidden app graveyard where it belongs...