does anyone have 8Gigs Ram in 13"uMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brendu, Nov 3, 2009.

1. brendu macrumors 68020

so like the title stated, do any of you have 8gigs of ram in the 13" macbook pro?

if so, what do you do that required 8 gigs?

im just curious because im planning on stepping mine up from 2 to 4 and i just cant think of why anyone would spend the money for 8, im curious what really benefits from it? thanks.

2. vant macrumors 65816

3. cababah macrumors 68000

there have been times when I had a lot of stuff going on and my free memory in activity monitor would show like 100MB but then I realized that I still had a ton of memory "wired."

4. Dicholscrn macrumors newbie

Where are you guys getting the memory and what type would you recommend for the 13" MBP?

5. eswank macrumors 6502

For all the Apple computers I've owned I've always gone through

http://www.macsales.com

They have great prices!

6. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

in terms of cost/benefit analysis, community sentiment is that its a better idea to spend the $$ on a SSD than on 8 GB of ram. The HD performance upgrade will far outweigh the extra ram.

I wouldn't worry about going to 8 until its actually cost effective to do so.

7. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

8. I3roknI3ottle macrumors member

I just picked up 4GB of G.Skill @ newegg for $64.99 and the performance boost was def worth it. I gave my VMs more memory and don't have anymore beachballs when running tons of apps / background stuff. 8GB in a 13" MBP is def not wallet friendly ATM.

9. Av1o3 macrumors member

Well the way you're saying it makes it sound like theres something wrong with using 8gb ram on the 13" but there aren't a lot of people using that much ram for the whole mbp line mainly because the price for it is just way too expensive right now.

Anyway, most people don't need that much ram. The only way that it will be beneficial is for people who do heavy video and photo editing and stuff using vms