Does anyone have a 12" iBook (Snow) LCD lid/cover?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Jan 11, 2015.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Hey everyone,

I have done the common modification of putting lighting film over the Apple logo (from the inside) of my iBook G4. That's cool, but I sort of want to take it to the next level.

I'd like to find the lid/cover from a 12" Snow iBook G3 and scratch-away the white coating from the inside, and maybe use Plasti Dip or paint to paint it red; or perhaps just make it fully transparent!

Does anyone have a spare screen lid/cover for a 12" iBook G3? I have looked online, but (as usual) non-collectors are putting them up for silly prices.

Oh, and an interesting fact: The Flower Power and Blue Dalmatian iMac G3s' shells are similar to the lid covers of the iBook G3's (Snow). Either Jobs was playing with words or lying, because the print isn't "molded into the plastic", it's layered onto the plastic like paint. Hypothetically speaking, one COULD scratch all of that away and create a completely transparent iMac G3! Why haven't we seen one of those? Well, IDK who would want to do that to a Flower Power/Blue Dalmatian. If someone can find one that is already ruined, it would be amazing to have a fully-transparent iMac G3.

-Thanks

P.S. I'll make sure to document the project if I do it, and post the pictures in this thread!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

RedCroissant may have some information on this as he wanted to do this with his iBook.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It may be cheaper to purchase a dead iBook G3 and use it for parts. To remove the white paint on the inside, use rubbing alcohol or paint thinner. Don't scratch it away or you'll mark up the plastic.

4. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Alright, I'll try to consult him.

----------

Yeah, it probably would. I'll get cracking and see what they are going for; thanks for the info.

5. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I have an iBook screen from my Radeongated iBook. I don't know what the size of it is. It works.

Looking at 12" ibooks on the internet, the screen spans the entire width. On my iBook there is a bezel about 3/4" between the keyboard and side, so it is bigger than 12". I think it is 14".