Does anyone Have A Copy Of Internet Explorer For Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DEXTERITY, May 12, 2007.

1. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

I know Internet Explorer doesn't exist anymore. But does anyone happen to have a copy of an old install of it? I have a mod that requires it in one of my Miva 5 stores. I can't seem to find it anywhere. I will only need it for a certain html edit mod. I assume it will work on a Mac Pro? I checked limewire but had no luck, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance.

2. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

it probably wont work on an intel mac because it was a classic app (not mac os x, mac os)

3. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

It should still be available here:

http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/mac

And it is a Carbon-based native OS X application that can be run via Rosetta. The last version was 5.2.3 for OS X, and 5.1.7 for OS 9.

4. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

oh wow, thank you. quite an interesting site, wish I knew about that one before lol.

the mod requires 5.5 but maybe this will work. do u think I will have any issues if I install it? i assume if it doesn't work on the computer it just wont work but won't cause any other issues by having it on the computer?

thanks again

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you're trying to use something that requires IE, then it's probably ActiveX which only works on Windows. There should be a Mac equivalent for most ActiveX controls though.

6. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Please be aware that this version of IE is not in feature-parity with its Windows counterpart. If a website states "You need Internet Explorer to run this website." they're probably referring to the fact that you need ActiveX support, something which no Mac OS X browser has supported and is unlikely to in the future.

The install procedure should cause no problems with your current version of Mac OS X.

EDIT: Beaten to it. :)

7. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

wow you guys are on point tonight lol. thought I was the only one awake on here at 320am.. thanks again for your help. Well good to know it won't mess anything up. And thanks for informing me that it wont work based on active x so I don't end up wasting my time.

so I assume there is nothing else I could do if I needed a browser which needed that function (apart from getting on a pc ugh)?

thanks again!

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There is not, and it's safe to say never will be, Mac ActiveX support. It might be possible to run Windows IE through Crossover, but if you're just looking to edit HTML then there are plenty of native solutions available.

9. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

that sucks.. the only thing that I will be able to use this mod with is IE 5.5, it wont work with anything else.. thanks for your time and help

10. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

Not true, there was IE 5 for OS X, came bundeled with OS X up to 10.3.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

FWIW It was 8.20am in the UK, and probably 6pm in Austrailia ;).

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I have run IE 6 through CrossOver and it seemed to run very well. You can get a 30 day trial for free. It costs $60 if you want it after that.

13. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

same here ie 6 and 7 running in crossover office perfictly, i have a couple of installs of them with diffrent plug ins and bare minimum settings to just to make sure i give it a good testing.