Does anyone have a locked AT&T iPhone on Cricket?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alnova1, Feb 9, 2016.

1. alnova1 macrumors member

alnova1

I'm thinking about getting an iPhone 6S from an individual that is locked to AT&T. There is no money owed on the phone. I'm on Cricket now and despite the fact that AT&T owns and runs Cricket on their network I'm reading conflicting stories. Some say it still has to be unlocked. Does anyone have an AT&T iPhone that is still locked running on Cricket?

2. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

3. alnova1 thread starter macrumors member

alnova1

Really? Never been unlocked?

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Regardless of whether or not it would work you can get AT&T to unlock it for you, I'm pretty sure. I got a 5S unlocked through them after we left AT&T. You'll have to call them and explain the situation.

5. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Yup. Phone was actually still on contract with AT&T. Mind, that was in late 2014 to early 2015 (cousin vacationed in the US for 4 months and needed a cell). No idea if they've changed policies recently.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

AT&T has an online form for unlocking iPhones but it really only works if you're a current customer...therefore you have to call them.

7. alnova1 thread starter macrumors member

alnova1

I went ahead and made the trade and it works fine on Cricket without being unlocked. Of course this phone had no money owed on it and not under contract.

8. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Don't necessarily need to be a current customer. The form accommodates previous customers, too. Otherwise, you'd probably have to call.

I have no experience with calling customer service to unlock but the online form is a fairly painless process. I've unlocked 1x iPhone 4, 1x 4s, 2x 5 and 2x 5s via the online form without any problems. If traveling overseas, though, you want to make sure to request the unlock at least a week in advance.