Does anyone have a RMBP without image retention

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bsen4961, Dec 31, 2012.

1. bsen4961 Guest

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to buy a rmbp and have purchased three in the past all had image retention. I am hoping that i can get one with out that horrible feature. I would be more comfortable in purchasing a rmbp after finding out other people situations

Do you have image retention?
    How long have you had you machine?
    What manufacturer is your panel (LG or Samsung)?

Thank you!

2. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Mine is fine. Had my machine since August 2012. Samsung Screen

3. alexwei macrumors regular

mine is perfectly fine too. have it more than a month now.

4. jangozo macrumors member

If you ask me, IR is a very relative thing. For example, some people say their screen has IR when the the checkerboard is visible on grey background after 10-15 minutes, for others IR is when they can see the screen they've been looking for 5+ minutes after they have closed it.

From my experience, even if you have a Samsung screen, you'll still have IR but very very light after running a special test. Some LG screens are more susceptible and can be visible in normal usage scenarios. Time is also something to consider because some screens' IR gets worse with time.

5. MercurioF macrumors newbie

I've had mine, with an LG screen, for about 2-3 weeks now. So far I've had no issues with image retention at all, even after running the checker board pattern test on it for varying lengths of time. Not sure if that will change in the future, but as of now everything is fine.

6. mawyatt macrumors member

Had mine since Aug with no issues. How does one find out if the screen is Samsung or LG, which is better?

7. racer1441 macrumors 68000

I have four or five here for different things, mix of both companies. No issues at all.

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

There are millions of people without image retention.

I'm one of them.

9. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Please someone start another retention thread.

10. nill1234 macrumors member

My rMBP has an LG-Screen but i never noticed any sort of ir in my daily use (Programming in Eclipse surfing and writing some text) I Bought it used so its 4 months old.

11. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Hyperbole removed.

12. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Have they not sold millions? There was no intention to be hyperbolic. The image retention problem is certainly real, but I expect the majority of computers not to have the problem.

13. krravi, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012

krravi macrumors 65816

Just curious, this IR test seems to be prevalent in rMBP.

How many of you have tested this in other models? Say your iMac or old MBP or even your other monitors?

Am going to do it on my iMac and see what happens.

Also had another thought, for the sake of argument with Apple.

Forget the checkerboard test, as the consensus is that, under normal use we don't really do that.

So the closest in real world use for that test would be the Apple Chess program under games. Change the color scheme of the board that has high contrast and do the test and see if their is image retention.

Considering that a chess game stays lit on the screen for more than 20 mins on average for a game, that would be the deal breaker.

Try the "Marble Board" and "Metal Pieces" as thats closest to that test. You might play a game or two that you hated, while you are at it.. :)