Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macnicol

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to connect SCSI external drives to current iMacs? I have several old SCSI drives that I used with my Power Macintosh 7600/120 that I would like to check for any archiveable files and then erase and reformat before discarding. Are there adapters that convert SCSI to either USB or FireWire (1394)?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I don’t think you’ll find an adapter. You might have to resurrect an old Mac to read the drives. When you’re done with them, I wouldn’t bother erasing or formatting. I would physically destroy them. Hammers and screwdrivers do wonders on the platters.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
There exists USB or FireWire to SCSI adapters but I don't know if they make them anymore. If not, then maybe you can buy used from eBay.
https://www.synchrotech.com/support/ratoc-scsi-firewire-usb-fr1sx-u2scx-lvd-faq-supplement.html
http://computercableinc.com/ccinc/products.jsp?sub=USB+to+SCSI-2-+(MD50)&id=3322

I have many SCSI disks from old Macs (Macintosh LC, …, Power Mac 8600) but I have never tried any SCSI adapters so I don't know how well they work.

You'll need an external SCSI enclosure or an adapter.
https://iec.net/product-tag/internal-scsi-adapters-w-id50/
https://iec.net/product-tag/passive-devices-w-id50/
https://www.cnet.com/products/belkin-scsi-microdb50-m-to-microcentronics50-m-6-cable/
https://www.globalspec.com/ds/2339/areaspec/prod_type_contr

Reactions: Amethyst1

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Depending upon the age of the drives, you might get lucky and find SATA drives inside your SCSI enclosures. If you do, then all you'd need would be a simple SATA dock, like this:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I've never heard of SATA inside SCSI. Do you have an example? We are talking here about Parallel era SCSI.
Wow. I'm not thinking back far enough. I think you're right. I was thinking of Firewire enclosures. He's probably going to have to find an old Mac to read those drives.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
There exists USB or FireWire to SCSI adapters but I don't know if they make them anymore. If not, then maybe you can buy used from eBay.

Wowza.

Much closer to the "Let's just give it a try" price range.

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012

Wowza.

Much closer to the "Let's just give it a try" price range.
but not sure about macOS support.

I suppose a properly constructed USB adapter should just do a straight block device conversion of a single drive. Or it could do multiple drives on a SCSI bus since USB also supports SCSI command set and can address each drive individually. It depends on what features they put in the USB adapter.

Same can be said for a properly constructed FireWire adapter.

Basically, if the adapters use the defined USB or FireWire spec for mass storage devices, then it should work in macOS without extra drivers.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I suppose a properly constructed USB adapter should just do a straight block device conversion of a single drive. Or it could do multiple drives on a SCSI bus since USB also supports SCSI command set and can address each drive individually. It depends on what features they put in the USB adapter.

The Ratoc Firerex's (FireWire-to-SCSI) press release says it behaves like a standard mass storage device (SBP-2), no extra drivers required. Their USB-to-SCSI adapter also looks to work like a USB Mass Storage device (according to your link).

The Adaptec USBXChange's manual says...
  • you can connect up to seven devices (daisy-chained)
  • it needs a driver (so no USB Mass Storage mode)
  • on Mac OS, you can switch it from "Mass Storage" to "Other Peripherals" mode (page 18 onwards)

Last edited:
Reactions: joevt

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
The used PMac might even be cheaper than an adapter. Those adapters are absurdly expensive. Although you can resell either of them and make most of your money back. If this is a one time retrieval.

Really, if you don't have anything really personal on them. You'd probably make the day for many vintage Mac collectors here. Letting them do something useful with their collection. By letting them retrieve the files for you.

Probably for nothing. As many would just find it fun. Although they'd hope to keep the functioning SCSI drives afterward. As those, especially externals, are getting hard to come by at a reasonable price.

At any rate. I wouldn't dispose of them. Properly wipe then resell them. Collectors will pay for functional units. How much depends on the specific unit.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I don’t think you’ll find an adapter. You might have to resurrect an old Mac to read the drives. When you’re done with them, I wouldn’t bother erasing or formatting. I would physically destroy them. Hammers and screwdrivers do wonders on the platters.
Do NOT destroy SCSI drives. Particularly those that work with old Macs and especially not if they have Apple firmware. They are getting hard enough to find these days and third party utilities are a lottery with non-Apple drives for formatting and setting up. It was a real pain finding a pair that I could format to work with my Mac SEs.

If you don't need them pass them on. Freecycle or whatever.

Mac JR

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2022
Find the cheapest Mac with a SCSI port, ensure you have a SCSI Terminator for the drive you want to connect (if it's not built-in), and network it to your current Mac. Though it's a little complicated it would work. Alternately get a PCI USB adapter card for a 7500 or larger-case format Mac and you can copy files directly from the SCSI drive to a USB-connected drive. I use the latter in my 7600, as it's the easiest.

SnakeCoils

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2018
Italy
In case someone is interested, I have attached here the MacOS 8.6 drivers for this USB-SCSI adapter I just purchased for few euros.

converter-usb-scsi-xxx-generic-oem-cm-s18-detail.jpg

It is an OEM Shuttle SCM adapter model CM-S18 (rebranded to many other manufacturer like Belkin, Microtech, Lindy, Newertech with different enclosure but same hardware) that works so-and-so on OSX and Win11 but sadly not at all on my MDD with OS9 because the drivers does not support anything above 8.6 resulting in a system crash during the initial boot up when System Extensions are loaded.
I have searched everywhere on the web for updated OS9 drivers but with no luck, if those drivers exists and someone would be so nice to share it would be greatly appriciated :)
The problem is that almost all the adapters derived from the Shuttle model shares the same 1.0f3 version but customized for different manufacturers so updated drivers from another brand are not recognized and loaded in this case they have to report the "shuttle" word in name extension: renaming it will not do the trick and also looking with an hex editor inside other "1.0f3" version from different brands I see some differences in the code not related to the name so not only the new extension should have to be compatible with OS9 but also to be matched to its brand name!
I do know that Macintosh Repository has updated SCM drivers but for a different model that rely on USB 2.0 protocol while this one is based on USB 1.1 standard, so they did not load, I just tried...
Anyway for everyone commited to use this exact adapter with OS 8.5/8.6 the needed drivers are here, enjoy!

Attachments

• SCM_CMS-18_USB_SCSI.sit.zip
    264.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.