Does Anyone Have Advice Regarding Switching to AT&T and Purchasing an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cffry, Jun 14, 2011.

1. cffry macrumors newbie

Hello, all! Thanks for helping me with this. My parents have recently served divorce papers and my father and I plan to switch to AT&T as soon as all ties to our family's Sprint account are severed. I'm very excited, because now after years of falling subject to mediocre phone purchases, I can own one of the best phones on current market. :)

I've thought about the possibility of an iPhone 5/4S and have hypothesized that the iPhone 4 has the quality hardware to run at least up to iOS 7, due to the lack of a new iPhone at WWDC. I would find it suitable to purchase an iPhone 4 and have it for the next two years.

The problem is, my father made the remark today when I was showing him some options for his phone (apparently he has a thing for BlackBerry OS :eek: ) that he wouldn't put down $200 up front for the iPhone 4, and made allusions that I would be purchasing the 3GS instead. I have found myself staring at the 3GS at an AT&T kiosk multiple times and telling myself that it's not that bad, but compared to the iPhone 4, the 3GS is a child's toy. I think we all know that the 3GS will soon be left behind after iOS 5. There's always the possibility of jailbreaking, but who knows? Maybe Apple will bless the iPhone 3GS again during WWDC 2012. By the way, if anyone has any phone recommendations for my father, please let me know.

My dilema is choosing the cheaper 3GS and purchasing it immediately or working towards the iPhone 4 for a longer period of time. Or, I could dip into my $120 iPad 2 fund and get a head's start. If anyone has an opinion on what I should do, please share it.

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Is there any way you can get a summer job, since I'm guessing you're underage? Besides helping you pay for your iPhone, you might be able to contribute something to your iPad fund as well.
    FYI: the consensus in the rumor mill is that the next iPhone is coming out with the new iPods. If you can wait that long, you can get a new model or get the 4 at 3GS prices.

3. cffry thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the late response, but I've gotten together enough money for an iPhone 4 at this point. I think I'm going to wait for the iPhone 5 and buy the 4 at 3GS prices, and then contribute the leftover money to the iPad 2 fund. Thanks! :)

4. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

thats a good idea, and if you really want to be clever, you can just buy a used phone form ebay and then you won't have to be under the 2 year contract, then when the iphone 5 comes out you can start your two year contract with the discounted iphone 4....