Does anyone have an iPad AND an iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by quentoncassidy, Dec 5, 2010.

1. quentoncassidy macrumors newbie

I'm curious since Christmas is coming... What would be the benefits of having both? I wouldn't be getting the 3G version of the iPad. I'm a junior in high school. I have a cell phone so I wouldn't need anything other than wifi. There's a couple kids in my school who use an iPad instead of all their notebooks and stuff and the teachers have to let them use it because they put it in their Individual Learning Plans or whatever so they can take notes, etc.

However, of course the iPad isn't as portable as the iPod touch so idk, would it make any sense to ask for both?

My family has a desktop at home and an laptop which never leaves the house that is basically a desktop replacement.

2. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

If you will be using it for notes in class you will want the Ipad. A ipod is way to hard to take notes on! you can also get iwork for the ipad to take notes in.. So for note taking it's a ton better. The Ipad is pretty portable unless your talking about hitting the gym with it.. But the Ipad is better then the ipod in every other way.. I would suggest the ipad for your case.

p.s plus you could even use a keyboard with the ipad in class they have some cool bluetooth role up ones. plus tons of other options!! like the one from apple as well.

Hope my input helps

http://www.amazon.com/Menotek-Flexible-Bluetooth-Waterproof-Keyboard/dp/B003K1VABO/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

3. yankintx macrumors 6502

Isn't an iPod touch basically for kids?

I don't know any adults that have one, only kids.

Both my kids had one until they were of "cell phone age", and now they have iPhones

4. quentoncassidy thread starter macrumors newbie

Well yea, I wouldn't even think of taking notes on an ipod touch. in that case i'd just stick to handwriting.

My only concern with the ipad is during the situations where I need to do drawings (such as detailed drawings for biology or physics situations, or even math stuff. Not sure how easy it would be to do that. or maybe I could still use a small notebook for that.

5. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

you should get an iPad touch. The other one is just too small for proper note taking.

6. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Why not get both?

I'm not sure that you're as much of an apple fanboy as I, but I always try and have every apple product (at least that's in my budget).

Both the iPod touch and the iPad have their practical uses. Obviously you aren't going to use the iPad to listen to music while you exercise or anything, because you could never carry it around. But you also aren't going to use you're iPod to take notes, so each device has it's uses.

If you haven't noticed, Apple makes all of their products JUST different enough that you feel as if you need to have both of them. It's really quite brilliant.

If I were you, I'd get both. But then again, it's not my money.

7. quentoncassidy thread starter macrumors newbie

Not my money either... More like my parents' money. And I'm sure they wouldn't buy both for me. They'd probably make the iPad my only Christmas gift with the exception of some clothes (which I don't have a problem with).

And yea, I kinda would consider myself an apple fanboy even though the only apple device I have is a 2nd generation iPod nano 4gig :rolleyes:. But that will soon change. After playing around at the apple store and reading stuff, I know apple is the way to go. I've dealt with too much frustration from windows and hope that apple will be different. My parents are buying an iMac for the house, I believe for christmas. A good replacement for our old dell dimension 2400 with 512mb ram and 70gb hd. And when I go to college, I know I'll be getting a macbook pro:apple::apple::apple:

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

Got the iPod for music on the go along with quick twitter reads - far easier to open it up than to take out bigger iPad. Use my iPad for notes, meetings, work, movies, games etc. No longer have the iPod as my wife took it for easy communication when she has wifi - i have a smartphone so I anyways don't need an iPod touch now.

9. Vaebn macrumors newbie

10. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Why? The iPhone is just a 3G version of the iPod touch....?

I have an iPhone and an iPad, but if I hadn't sold my iPod touch when I got my iPhone, I would have bought an iPad with that as well. It's all in the functionality of the separate devices.

The iPhone and iPod touch are great portable devices but the iPad towers over those devices in terms of web viewing and note-taking. Like I said, I would never listen to music on my iPad, at least if I was doing any sort of moving around, and I would never take notes on my iPod, so there IS a need for both devices. At least in my eyes.

11. lcseds macrumors 6502a

How stupid are those statements? I'm guessing you have a ipod Touch then?

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

... you should ... grow up

I use an iPod Touch as an ..... iPod

I use it to listen to music (2000 songs on it) :cool:

13. MsMerryMac macrumors regular

First of all, I am "a grown up." I am on my third iPod Touch generation and have an iPad as well. They both serve their own purposes and I use both equally throughout the day. I also have an MBP which is used exclusively for writing. Anyway, if I HAD to choose which one for school, I would go with the iPad. Taking notes on the Touch becomes annoying. Plus, the iPad has MANY awesome note taking apps and you can do everything else that the Touch does. The only reason that I keep the Touch is because...yup...I'm a grown up. I have grocery lists and to-do lists and things like that on the Touch because it's pocketable and I need that with all the errands I run...as a grown up.:D

14. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

My friends who are on Sprint have both the ipod touch and the ipad. They use the ipod touch for music, grocery lists, etc and the ipad for browsing at home. They also have a Mac Book and MBP 15".

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I have both an iPad and an iPod touch. As other people have said, if I could have only one, I'd definitely go with the iPad. It's my main reading (ebooks and web) device, and I also use it to write and edit documents while on the go. Both these things are much easier on the iPad's larger screen. My iPod touch is my main music player, but I sometimes read on it when pulling out the iPad is inconvenient. Being able to pick and chose between the two is a very nice convenience, and I feel lucky I can afford to have both. Still, if I had to pick one, there's just no contest -- iPad all the way.

16. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I am on Sprint and have an iPod Touch and an iPad. I recently switched to a Blackberry phone from an Android phone because I like the Blackberry better for messaging/texting. Since getting the iPad, I hardly ever use my phone for web browsing even when I am out and about.

To be honest, I kinda feel like I wasted my money with buying an iPod. I use my iPad all the time at home and thought the iPod would get tons of use outside of the home but it doesn't due to lack of wifi. I have used it a few times at the gym to listen to pandora or watch netflix and I bring it to work to listen to pandora. I have used it to facetime a couple of times. Most of that stuff I don't need it for though and I am just doing it to try and justify my $300 impulse buy.

If the iPhone goes to Verizon, I will be switching to an iPad + iPhone from my iPad + iPod + Blackberry. I think that an iPod + iPad combo would be good for someone who doesn't have a smart phone. For me, it is just something extra I am carrying. I never realized how many of the apps that I use require internet.

17. trsnrtr macrumors 6502

trsnrtr

Really? I'm 59 and am on my third Touch as well as owning an iPad. :)

FWIW, ATT in my area sux so bad that I rarely see an iPhone.

18. adbe macrumors 6502a

I have an iPad, an iPhone, and an iPod Touch. I'm so confused now. I have no idea how old I am.

19. Diane B macrumors member

I, too, have a Touch and Ipad and use them differently. I hsve all my music on the Touch, downloaded music from Rhapsody, apps for weather, my ebook apps, but mostly the Touch is now used to stream internet radio, music in my car and through various radios and sound system. I have cables hooked in every room and its easy to move the Touch around.

I use the Ipad for surfing, reading books, mags, newspapers, news sites, forums, docs, notes, photos, etc with Dropbox. More than I ever imagined.

I don't have an Iphone because AT&T isn't a good carrier in our area and we use Verizon. I'm also older than above and love both my Idevices LOL. If I could only have one I would choose the Ipad because it can do everything the Touch can except go in my pocket but it can easily go in my handbag.

20. sbddude macrumors 6502a

You should have kept android because you can tether your ipod for mobile hotspot. That's what I do.

I have both iPod touch and iPad. The iPod is always with me, the iPad is not. They each have their own use.

And by the way, I am an adult. iPod touch is not just for kids.

21. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I do but I am selling the ipod.

The ipod for me was the easy foot in the door to apple products, like I suspect many others. The thing just blew me away it was so great as I was upgrading from a win mobile 6 device. Having both is a little redundant, but an ipad and a iphone makes plenty of sense to me.

22. polaris20 macrumors 68020

This is a moronic statement. How much does an iPhone cost per month? $99? How much does an iPT cost per month? $0.

I have an iPT gen 4, as does my wife. I also have the iPad. I use them for different purposes. Surfing on both, Netflix on both, but document editing on the iPad, recording on the iPad, Citrix on the iPad, movies on the iPad, music and podcasts on the iPT, e-mail on both, digital magazines on iPad.

23. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

lol no. many use it like that but a power user like me uses it to its fullest. which is much more than an ipod.

24. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

I have both but ever since buying my ipad I have put my iPod touch down. The only time I may pick it up is to sync or update apps. I'm liking the ipad better because it allows me to see everything a lot bigger and clearer. I'm also getting use to carrying it around in a small messenger bag across my shoulder, so in other words it's there but it's not.

25. patp Guest

the iPad is to big to fit in my pocket.

The iPod Touch is. Funny thing is, my new iPod Touch 4 seems a little snappier, faster than the iPad these days.