Does anyone have an iPod Photo?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Avatar Tempus, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Avatar Tempus macrumors newbie

Well, I am new to MacRumors (as a member) even though i have been to this site everyday since 2005 but anyway, I was wondering if anybody has an iPod besides the Nano (which is relatively recent) that doesn't play video? For example I have an iPod Photo. But I'm just asking this because I got an iPod Photo as soon as they came out if i remember correctly, and i was so mad when they came out with the iPod video the following month! But does (whoever) who has an older iPod keep it and use it a lot if they upgrade or etc? And did anyone buy a Photo a month before the video came out like I did? And last but not least, who else besides me is getting a 6G iPod which is due out in...hopefully sept.??

Get back to me fellow Mac lovers! :D
    (sorry if the question(s) weren't very concise or clear...i was tired when i wrote this)

:apple: peace out :apple:

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I'm still using my 40GB iPod photo although it sits in my glove compartment, hooked up to my aftermarket deck. I got it when it first came out and it was a marvel at the time to be able to display color images. The battery life isn't what it used to be but that's not a problem when it never leaves the car except for times when I need to update the playlists. The thought did cross my mind to get a video iPod but in reality it would have gone in the glove compartment as well.

3. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

I bought my iPod photo 20GB back on September 9th, just to have to have the video iPods come out on October 12th. At the time, I was very unimpressed. But now, almost 2 years later I'm using a 5G iPod, and I think I preferred my photo. Yes, it was bulkier, but the rounded edges, centered headphone port, better scratch resistance and the better battery life were it's high points. I still like my video though. I only upgraded because the hard drive died on my photo.

4. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I bought my 60GB ipod photo back when it was first introduced, and it was the only "color" ipod on the market (the smaller ipod was still black and white at that point). I love it! But sadly the hard drive is starting to go on it, and it is getting worse by the day. I was going to get an iPhone but changed my mind and decided to wait and see what the new ipods are like. If they are the rumored widescreen video ones then I will pick one up to replace my 4G. Sad though, it is still a great ipod, and the battery actually still gets a lot of charge!

5. Avatar Tempus thread starter macrumors newbie

Uh-oh

Hearing everyone's stories about how their color and photo iPods are biting the dust is bad news for me seeing as my iPod is the only one i have until 6G come out! :eek:

Oh by the way does anybody else play Guild Wars? :D

:apple: peace :apple:

6. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I bought my iPod Photo (30 GB) in April of 2005, right after my birthday. My friend got one right before me, so I used his a little before buying. I wore kind of torn between a Mini and a Photo, but I went with the Photo in the end. Last Christmas the hard drive failed, so Apple replaced it with another. In May of this year, the hard drive failed again, but I was out of Applecare by 1 month. I was thinking of selling it on eBay for someone to fix, but I was worried about my privacy and all of the information I had on the iPod (for example, Contacts and Photos). Thankfully I didn't sell it, as it turned on a week later. I restored it in iTunes and haven't used it since. I'm now probably going to sell it on eBay because I'd love a new video iPod. I also have a shuffle, which I use 100% of the time, because it's much more convenient.

Anyway, I feel less guilty spending money on a new video iPod now because I skipped a generation. :)

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I still use a 3rd generation iPod daily.. so that's like 1 to 2 generations behind the photo one, depending on how you measure a generation. I've replaced the battery and HDD ribbon cable, but it's still going strong 4 years later!

8. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i still use my 3rd gen iPod (also 4 years old) alongside a nano. i bought a 20GB iPod Photo when they were released and the nanos and video iPods were released later that year. i sold my iPod Photo to my brother and bought a nano. the nano is better for exercising and the full-size iPod is better for traveling because i don't have to limit myself to less than half of my iTunes library. i like the 3rd gen's all-touch interface, too, better than the click wheel.

9. ds252 macrumors regular

I got my iPod in the august before the video came out going against warnings from my brother that a newer better iPod was about to come, i just didn't want to wait. But sadly that ipod has been stolen in may and i have been waiting for the 6G ever since.

10. pengu macrumors 6502a

i bought the colour just after it came out, and i remember being a little pissed when it came out, but i've not upgraded yet.. however now "Poddy" has died, so i need to replace it. but given that my HDD died and took all my music with it, (still waiting on recovery company) it seems somewhat pointless to get one right now..

11. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

I have a 30GB iPod photo I bought in june 2005 that I still use. still works fine.

Just got a 5.5G free with my macbook. Might get a 6G to replace it, might not. I'm always a generation behind, but as long as it plays music I'm happy.

12. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I've still got my iPod photo and use it extensively. I didn't buy it a month before the video however, it was more like 4. But yes I did kick myself because I had waited that long to buy one and then 4 months later they updated it. Nonetheless, the music playing is what I use it for.

My wife has the video and we occasionally (one international flights) will watch videos on it, but it gets used daily to listen to music.

13. doublebullout macrumors member

The color iPod was released in July 2004, while the video iPod was released in October 2005. I bought my 40gb iPod Photo in time for Christmas 2004. The hard drive is fine, but the click wheel is going bad.

14. old cholo macrumors member

old cholo

hope someone can help me i have an older 60g photo that , after i had to restore it plays music fine BUT the photos no longer display even in slideshow style:confused:

15. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I bought my 60GB photo in March 2005. I managed to get the first version with all the accessories for the same price as the later one without all the extras. The video models which came out later that year didn't bother me because I only use my iPods for music anyway.

I used it daily (for at least 9 hours a day when at work) until last September when I got the 160GB classic for the extra capacity and it has served me well for the last 3 years. The battery is now on the way out and only lasts about 5-6 hours, but I'll probably replace the battery soon. It's now mainly used in the car with an iTrip. As old iPods aren't worth that much 2nd hand now so I'll probably just keep it until it eventually dies.

16. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Weren't these the thickest iPods ever made? I think the 20GB 2G comes close, but the 60GB photo looks like a behemoth.

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's a bit of a porker compared with my 160GB classic :eek:

[​IMG]

18. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Up until December of 2007 my main iPod was a 20Gig 4G Photo/Color. It was my first iPod ever that I had. It was bought in June of 2006 as a refurbished model. It was either a new 2Gig 1G Nano or the refurbed 20gig. After this christmas I got a new 80gig iPod Classic, but even though it is an improvement in capacity of the 20 Gig one I actually preferred the older one. The older iPods just seemed to fit better in the hand and they felt good with the rounded edges. The new classics feel too sharp in hand. I also feel that they are not as durable as the lucite topped ones. The new classic is only about 4 months old and already has a nice dent and a scratch on it! Granted they were caused by my using headphones with a too long cable. So the older White iPod still looked better at 1.5 years than my 4 month old one. Well now it looks worse cause my dad uses the old 20 Gig at work. He somehow managed to do more damage to it in two weeks than I did in 1.5 years! I was kinda miffed seeing as how it was my first Apple product...:eek:
    The Bottom lineis that as much as I like the classic I don't love it like I did my old one. It seems as though it was merely an afterthought on Apple's part unlike the old one.
    Sorry for the really long post.:eek::apple: