Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bloodklot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
So I have a Mac Pro 3,1 on Mavericks. I have a Apricorn Velocity Solo x2 with a Samsung 840 EVO 1TB. I get great speeds but on occasion, the drive seems to want to wake up occasionally while I'm working. So for about 5 seconds, I get the beach ball. This happens especially if I haven't used the Finder for more than an hour and then try to open a new Finder window. Or maybe it has to do with external drives that are connected that are trying to wake up? Does anyone else have this problem? Or is this normal?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Are you running TimeMachine ... and do you have your system set to allow hard disks to sleep when inactive?

This is a guess from my own observations, but...
TimeMachine accesses the drives each hour, and if they are "spun down", there will be a delay while they come up to speed which could possibly cause a beach-ball indication.

Let us know if you find a solution... :)

Bloodklot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
Thanks for the replies I'll have to try ejecting my harddrive. I'm at work so I'll have to do it later. How do you disable your harddrive from sleeping? Do you mean the Energy Saver thing? I usually set it to Never.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
SSD access should be instant. They don't draw that much power. Remove all internal and external HDDs and retest. It does sound like a drive accessing problem.

I'd also try reinstalling Mavericks and put your data back on via Time Machine. I've noticed on my rMBP this can take care of just overall slowness if performed every 6 months or so (I just did it on mine a week ago, much faster now).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.