Does anyone have any experience using MPI?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Spanky Deluxe, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I've been suffering from an MPI bug for ages now and its driving me mad.

My master thread does the following:

Code:
    do i = 2, nodes
    	call MPI_SSEND (xt(:,i), maxpoints, MPI_REAL, (i-1), 27, MPI_COMM_WORLD, status, ierr)
    	call MPI_SSEND (yt(:,i), maxpoints, MPI_REAL, (i-1), 28, MPI_COMM_WORLD, status, ierr)
    	call MPI_SSEND (zt(:,i), maxpoints, MPI_REAL, (i-1), 29, MPI_COMM_WORLD, status, ierr)
    	call MPI_SSEND (counter(i), 1, MPI_INTEGER, (i-1), 30, MPI_COMM_WORLD, status, ierr)
    end do
    and the other threads to the following:

Code:
    call MPI_RECV (x_temp, maxpoints, MPI_REAL, 0, 27, MPI_COMM_WORLD, status, ierr)
    call MPI_RECV (y_temp, maxpoints, MPI_REAL, 0, 28, MPI_COMM_WORLD, status, ierr)
    call MPI_RECV (z_temp, maxpoints, MPI_REAL, 0, 29, MPI_COMM_WORLD, status, ierr)
    call MPI_RECV (counter(my_id+1), 1, MPI_INTEGER, 0, 30, MPI_COMM_WORLD, status, ierr)
    So the master thread sends one column of the data stored in the xt, yt and zt arrays to the other threads and also sends an integer number. The problem I have is that my_id is changed by the MPI_RECV commands. The firs MPI_RECV commands changes the node's my_id to 27 (i.e. what the tag is set to), the next to 28 etc etc. This results in the program crashing when counter(my_id+1) is referenced since counter() is set to a size of 4.

Now I know I could change the counter so that its not stored in an array but that would be avoiding the problem that my_id is being changed. Am I doing something wrong with my tags? I thought the format for MPI_SSEND and MPI_RECV was MPI_SSEND (data, number of points, type of data, target node, identifier so as not to get muddled up, status, ierrr).

This has been driving me mad for ages now and I don't know what to do. :(

2. Windscion macrumors newbie

mpi_ssend does not include a status argument
    -- what compilers are you using
    -- what MPI library are you using