Does anyone have any insight into this strange charging phenomenon?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Stanley Lyndon, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Stanley Lyndon macrumors member

This happened just an hour back. My macbook suddenly decided it wouldn't charge. The battery icon says "Battery Not Charging", "Power Source: Power Adapter".

However, the strange part is that the macbook charges fine with my macbook pro adapter. And, the macbook's adapter charges the macbook pro fine! BUT, the original combination isn't working.

FWIW, I have restarted a few times, removed and reinstalled the battery, reset the NVRAM/PRAM and even the SMC. No go.

Any idea why this is happening? Seems very strange to me.

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Sounds like a dead MagSafe adapter - it needs to provide 60w for the laptop to charge - any less and it powers the computer but won't charge (for example, if you connect a 45w adapter).

3. Stanley Lyndon thread starter macrumors member

Oh okay. So you mean it is most likely an issue with the adapter itself and not the cord right? Because since posting the question I noticed the cord was twisted and wondered if that could have anything to do with the problem. I don't know why the adapter itself would fail though since it is protected by circuit breakers, etc. I guess some electronics just fail. :)

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Magsafe adaptera aren't the most reliable Apple product :p