Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

warriorprincess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
Hi there,

I have a question regarding mac's iweb program. A couple a years ago I created my artist website using this program. It had photographs and painting that I have done. All images are large Jpeg files.
Now the problem was once this site was up and running online, anyone could easily just click and save all my images on there computer in there full files. Is there anyway I can block this from happening. All my images are pretty big so I fear they can be easily copyrighted. I took it down for a wee bit but now I have to put the site back online.

Does anyone have any suggetions about security on iweb?

Thank you,

Warriorprincess

Last edited:

mrbash

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2008
If you are serving up static images or using raw picture files, there is now real way for you protect them. You could always watermark your pictures, but I'm guessing you want something more secure.

Unfortunately you don't have many choices. You could build a Flash program to display your pictures. And then sign the flash app so that it only runs on your website. But that's pretty complicated.

warriorprincess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
Thanks so much for getting back to me. I don't think I can build the flash program and I really have no clue where to start.

I'll look into the watermark since I have no clue what it is, but it could be an option.

thanks again for the reply!!

mrbash

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2008
A watermark is a translucent logo or text on top of a picture. It is one method of copyrighting your photographs. Most photo manipulation programs (e.g Lightroom) will have a watermark feature.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
A watermark is a translucent logo or text on top of a picture. It is one method of copyrighting your photographs. Most photo manipulation programs (e.g Lightroom) will have a watermark feature.

I am also looking into watermarking pictures. I'll look into Lightroom, any other easy ways to do this? I assume I can't do this in iPhoto.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
If you plan to display the images on the internet there is no way you can "protect" them. Watermarks work sometimes, but usually they are in a corner which can be cropped out or in the center of a nice picture that pisses off your potential customers.

If you use low-resolution images (400x600 or similar) they're too small to be of any real use anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.