iPad Does anyone have any tips on replacing the iPad 3 screen?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 55test55, Jul 4, 2015.

1. 55test55 macrumors 6502

I have a severely cracked iPad 3 screen and need to replace it. I already ordered all the parts and tools. I know its supposed to be extremely hard but i dont have the $300 that Apple wants to replace the iPad. I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to do or not to do when I go to replace it. Thanks!

2. teidon macrumors 6502

teidon

Pretty sure iFixit or similar site has posted YouTube video about. All I know is that the screen is glued to the case and don't bother trying replace the glass only. Change the whole display+digitiser+glass set.

3. Neodym macrumors 65816

Neodym

Counting in the hours you'd need for the repair attempt (and the high risk of damaging other components while doing so without proper repair equipment) and the high probability of impairing your user experience by getting 3rd party repair parts instead of the original stuff (no matter what the seller claims), it might be cheaper and better to go for a second hand replacement of the whole iPad. Especially the old iPad 3's should be available pretty cheaply by now. Not sure where you are from, but at $300 you're already approaching 2nd hand iPad Air territory over here.

4. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

I've done 3 iPad screen repairs so far.
    The first one I ever did was the hardest, but the screen was also really shattered. The second one I did the screen was intact, I just had to remove the screen to work on the home button. That repair was relatively easy.

My most recent repair was alright. Just one corner of the screen was cracked. It was ok until the rest of the screen started cracking up on me as well. Luckily I had most of the glue released so I didn't have to deal with too many fragments of glass.

If you're looking at removing a lot of broken glass slivers it's going to be a pain in the ass.

I use a heat gun and a razor blade to get started on removing the glass. The razed blade fits between the glass and the plastic bezel piece better than any of those cheap plastic opening tools I've tried. Start prying a little ways down from the volume buttons. Get enough of an opening where you can fit a thin guitar pick in there, I think I have some .50 mm? ones I use. Lots of heat and just work the guitar pick around the edges, use other guitar picks to hold the loosened areas up away from the glue once you move past. I have thicker guitar picks I use for that. You'll have to check ifixit to see the areas the avoid going too deep with the pick: wireless antenna, home button, camera, near the volume/mute buttons. You might have a hard time getting the broken glass pieces away from those areas so there's a good chance you'll tear the wifi cable and power/volume cable. I know I did on that first one I tried.

Wearing rubber/latex gloves helps so you don't leave finger prints all over the LCD or new glass panel during replacement. Most importantly: wear goggles!! You do not want a tiny piece of glass getting in your eyes..!

Hope this helps. Good luck.

5. ray.arl macrumors member

Plenty of Youtube videos show you how to replace the broken glass of the iPad 3, they are quite informative.