Does anyone have both the 13" and the 15"? And if so, why?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robertfrancis70, Apr 1, 2017.

1. robertfrancis70 macrumors newbie

Along with many people here, I find both the 13" and 15" versions of the new tbMBP quite tempting. The rational thing to do is choose between them and buy one.

I have the 2016 15" and am very happy with it. But I'm also constantly coveting the tb 13".

Setting the money issue aside, can anyone here who has both explain their rationale in acquiring the second laptop and also what their use case is for each?

Put otherwise, if you have both, does the 15 become anything more than a desktop or home-bound computer? Do you make equal use of both?

2. muharremoglu, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017

muharremoglu macrumors newbie

Hello I had the 15inch late 2013 long time before I get a 13inch (basic Modell 2015) as a present. My Usage for the 15inch ist just Development work at home and Daily things on the 13inch on the go. I love the quad core power and 16GB Ram at home and the mobility on road. Work and every day things on the same machine is possible but I like to separate these things.

3. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I have both a 13" and a 15". I purchased the 13" when I had an older 2012 15" model. I found the 15" just a little too bulky for motorcycle travel, since I carry it in a messenger bag on my back or in the panniers. Since picking up the new '16 15" MPB, I have given my wife my older 15" and plan to sell the '13". The new 15" is thin enough, light enough and portable enough for my needs, that I haven't even powered the 13" on since I purchased it. It isn't worth holding on to, if I am not going to use it.

But that is my needs, let's hear about yours :)

4. Sanpete macrumors 68020

I have the new 15", and the one I covet is the MacBook. It's so cute! It looks like I could put it in my pocket.

But I won't buy one. I already have a backup, which would be my only good reason for having two laptops.

5. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Yes, I have both 2015 13" NTB and 15" TB. The current reason is my 15" being just a month old had to be sent out for numerous repairs. Logic Board, New top case and so on. Couldn't be without a computer for a week so bought the 13" NTB. I take the 13" when I am out and about or on vacation. The 15" does stay at home for the most part but would not hesitate to take it if need be. Both are easy to take.

6. robertfrancis70 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to everyone for responding! To reply to SDColorado's particular question, my needs are both portability and screen size.

I use my laptop on the road a fair bit. But I love the larger screen of the new 15" and at 4 pounds, I can't say that it's a hindrance to carry. So, I can't really justify buying the 13" on that basis alone. It certainly would be more portable, but the 15" is portable enough.

I confess, it's a completely indulgent desire (maybe a bit similar to Sanpete liking the MacBook because it seems small enough to put in your pocket)...

I'm assuming I can't justify owning both, but I just wanted to get a sense of other people's experience / thinking about this...

7. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

No, but I may be getting an iMac in addition to my 15". I don't think it's crazy to have two macOS devices, but one of them has to be a desktop for me.

8. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I liked the idea of the the 13", but I found in practice, the lack of screen real estate annoying and didn't enjoy using if for much other than web browsing and email. To me the 15" is the sweet spot, though I may upgrade my 9.7" iPad Pro to the 12.9 after the next release cycle.

9. Conutz macrumors regular

Conutz

I've got a 2014 15" and went through something similar. Just had to have an 11" Air, which I ended up giving to my wife. Here are a couple of issues I encountered.
    • Data syncing. I've got a few GBs of docs and source in MacOS and a few of GBs of source code on a Windows VM. Continuously syncing all of that was a chore, although it could be done with Dropbox or similar.
    • I'm always running a Windows VM - that's not fun on a dual-core. Maybe for light stuff, e.g. Word processing, etc., but not anything like app development. If you're doing anything fairly intensive, don't underestimate the value of two additional cores.
    • That screen size difference...although the 13" is not that much smaller.
    So...if you need the power of the quad-core, have lots of data and need screen real-estate, keep the 15", that's what you need. If none of the above, then go with the 13". Otherwise, just use the 15" and enjoy it!

I know these new Macs are all so sexy, but rather save the cash and get a replacement a year or two sooner. That's my current plan ;)

10. marc55, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017

marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

We have a 2014- 15"MBP, and a 2015- 13" MBP.

We got the 2014- 15" first as my wife wanted the larger screen. Then we got the 2015- 13" and she took that, so now I'm stuck with the 15", and I want a 13".

So, I plan to sell the 15" and get another 13".

Don't get me wrong, the 15" is awesome, but I just want a smaller and lighter computer.

m