Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgridgaway

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Specifically, can anyone agree with me that's it an semi-unstable platform? My girlfriend has a 2006 iMac4,1, and it always seems to have OS-related glitches and oddities. PPC Tiger was always rock solid for me, but I seem to have a lot more issues with the Intel version (what little exposure I get, that is).

Not a big deal though; I'm planning on upgrading her to Snow Leopard come college break in December.

And an additional note: yeah, it's odd that I'm asking this just days before SL is released...but hey, it's still worth asking.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It always worked fine for me.

The only oddity I remember is USB file transfers slowing Finder's rendering to a crawl.

mgridgaway

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
It always worked fine for me.

The only oddity I remember is USB file transfers slowing Finder's rendering to a crawl.

Never experienced that. Just today though, apps would randomly be unable to fullly quit, and ejected iPods and flash drives remained in the finder. a restart and a thorough run of Onyx fixed the issues, but still, a bit odd.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Never experienced that. Just today though, apps would randomly be unable to fullly quit, and ejected iPods and flash drives remained in the finder. a restart and a thorough run of Onyx fixed the issues, but still, a bit odd.
You didn't mention checking the logs.

Onyx seems to be some sort of panacea around here. It's up there with Repairing Disk Permissions.

mgridgaway

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
You didn't mention checking the logs.

Onyx seems to be some sort of panacea around here. It's up there with Repairing Disk Permissions.

It's not, but I don't doubt it's usefulness for a second.

And I didn't mention checking the logs because I didn't. If a simple restart/Onyx (with debate on which one actually helped more) combo can fix the issue, that's good enough for me. It's not likely they're going to release 10.4.12.

otis123

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
every intel mac with tiger on it that i have used has been slow and buggy, it was a weird OS not quite a tiger, not quite a leopard.

mgridgaway

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
every intel mac with tiger on it that i have used has been slow and buggy, it was a weird OS not quite a tiger, not quite a leopard.

Well you officially validated my thoughts, even if it is just the two of us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.