Does anyone have experience with Intel Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mgridgaway, Aug 26, 2009.

1. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Specifically, can anyone agree with me that's it an semi-unstable platform? My girlfriend has a 2006 iMac4,1, and it always seems to have OS-related glitches and oddities. PPC Tiger was always rock solid for me, but I seem to have a lot more issues with the Intel version (what little exposure I get, that is).

Not a big deal though; I'm planning on upgrading her to Snow Leopard come college break in December.

And an additional note: yeah, it's odd that I'm asking this just days before SL is released...but hey, it's still worth asking.

2. Amdahl macrumors 65816

I never noticed it to have any problems, especially if it is 10.4.11.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It always worked fine for me.

The only oddity I remember is USB file transfers slowing Finder's rendering to a crawl.

4. mgridgaway thread starter macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Never experienced that. Just today though, apps would randomly be unable to fullly quit, and ejected iPods and flash drives remained in the finder. a restart and a thorough run of Onyx fixed the issues, but still, a bit odd.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You didn't mention checking the logs.

Onyx seems to be some sort of panacea around here. It's up there with Repairing Disk Permissions.

6. mgridgaway thread starter macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

It's not, but I don't doubt it's usefulness for a second.

And I didn't mention checking the logs because I didn't. If a simple restart/Onyx (with debate on which one actually helped more) combo can fix the issue, that's good enough for me. It's not likely they're going to release 10.4.12.

7. otis123 macrumors 6502a

every intel mac with tiger on it that i have used has been slow and buggy, it was a weird OS not quite a tiger, not quite a leopard.

8. mgridgaway thread starter macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Well you officially validated my thoughts, even if it is just the two of us.