Does anyone have the Marware SportGrip Edge?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Psant, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Psant macrumors regular

2. mlukens macrumors member

3. Psant thread starter macrumors regular

4. mlukens macrumors member

No but I think they will announce on their Twitter, they said when others shipped. They also noted they don't sell their cases before they test them on a real iPhone.

http://twitter.com/marware

5. DarkAether macrumors regular

Preordered the blue a few weeks ago based on the pics that were up at the time (see above). Just noticed new pictures. Very different looking now. Rather than bright solid colors, they're a paler opaque tint that looks like cheap silicone rubber. :mad:

[​IMG]

6. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I had one pre-ordered on MacMail, and I got a call from them saying they didnt have them in stock so they refunded me and I ended up getting a bumper. If they look anything like what Dark just posted then I dont regret it at all.

The black & white ones look okay though.

7. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

You're right. The blue looks much less interesting. A lot of these companies really rushed their stuff out. And I should stop preordering.

8. gapdev macrumors newbie

Damn, I was going to get a Red, Black, & Blue one based upon how they looked in the older pictures. I don't like the looks now.

The Black one is OK but the other colors are really bad. They should have stuck with the original colors.

Kenny

9. Autopilot638 macrumors 6502

Just saw the "new" look on their site and I am very disappointed. :mad:

10. sheaitisnotso macrumors regular

They told me in an email that they expect inventory in next week and will start selling them then.

11. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

According to the website the Black SportGrip Edge is now shipping. Hopefully someone will present us with a review in the immediate future.

12. labrat1996 macrumors 6502

labrat1996

Eww - I paid $22.99 for a red one on the 18th - but - I don't like the new rendering one bit! I wanted a SOLID red - not a clear! WTF! I guess that's what I get for pre-ordering from a photoshopped pic! :(

13. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I just received my white SportGrip Edge today, and so far I actually like it a lot. It's a thicker, seemingly more protective case than my Apple Bumper, and I'd not be afraid to drop it in this case, whereas I'm still very hesitant to say that my Bumper would protect the phone much at all in a drop. This SportGrip case has a slightly more pronounced lip on the front and back side of the phone, so it should give very good protection when laying face up/down on a surface or when dropped (front/back shouldn't hit surface that it is dropped on). The dock opening on the bottom is much larger than the one found on the Apple Bumper, and will accommodate larger, non-Apple connectors. The volume and sleep button is covered in the case, but isn't very hard to press (unlike the Belkin Vue TPU case I had), but don't have any feedback when pressing them. So they are easy to press, but you can't really tell that you have because they mute all tactile feedback. The vibrate switch is recessed nicely, so no worries about it getting hit in a drop, but the case's cut out for it still allows easy access to it for ease of use (easier to get at than the vibrate switch on my Apple Bumper). The only downside that I see is that the headphone jack cut-out seems to be pretty narrow, so I'm not sure about full compatibility with all different sized headphone plugs out there (not sure if the larger plugs on certain headphones would have clearance). As you can see in the pictures, I have a skin on the phone front and back, as well as a SGP Ultra clear screen protector installed, and there are no issues with the case pushing the skins/protector up anywhere.
    All cut outs for ports/openings in the case are very accurately cut and look/line up great. All in all I actually think this is a good alternative to the Apple Bumper, and would offer much more actual drop protection.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. psychonaut macrumors 6502a

15. phamtq macrumors newbie

I agree with psychonaut. Just got mine yesterday. The biggest complaint I have is that you lose ALL mechanical feedback with this case when using the sleep/wake or volume buttons. You also have to press REALLY hard. I'm thinking about modifying the case by cutting out the buttoms and sanding down the nearby area.

My second complaint is that it totally incompatible with the Zagg Invisible Shield. It starts lifting the film off from the device basically leaving you with a $25 piece of plastic to dispose of.

The film it comes with was hard to apply because these little fibers kept getting trapped underneath the film. It also leaves this oil slick look on it under certain lights.

I thought I could save a couple bucks and not wait for a white bumper but in the end the product isn't really worth it. :(

16. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

That's odd that it's lifting up your IS. I wonder if it's just varying quality output with these? I've got a vinyl skin on mine front and back, as well as an SGP screen protector on the front under the vinyl skin (so actually two layers of "stuff" on the front) and I get no lifting effect at all. The case lip just lays right over the skins/protector.

17. phamtq macrumors newbie

First part of the hack is done. Using a utility knife and cutting along the long sides of the makes it move better and you get the mechanical click sensation back. You can't even see the cuts.

Now it's time to try the volume buttons. Wish me luck! :D

Edit: Works better now, but still a bit stiff. Maybe I'll sand it down a bit.

18. grif macrumors newbie

I second this post, just got my black one in today and I couldn't even put it on without peeling up the Invisible Shield. I tried numerous times and different ways but everytime it would pull the edges up. Now I have marks within the IS that are noticable to me:(

19. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

Wow! Nice suggestion. I just did this on my volume and sleep button, and it has a LOT more of a "click" sensation. Especially so on the sleep button. And you're right, if done correctly you can't even see the cuts at all.

20. ratman2356 macrumors member

21. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I get mine from uniqueskins.com. They are identical to the Gelaskins that you see so many people rave about on here, and they are about half the price of those Gelaskins. You can design anything you like on their site as well.