Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
i was envious of it for months before i bit the bullet. loving it every day and never looked back.

I feel like I need to get one now. My question is:

Does it add grip? Does the iPhone feel any heavier? Does it feel bulkier? And also, is as pocket friendly?

And also, is the bottom lip sharp? Like does it jut into your pinky when holding with one hand?

Thank you.

crazee928

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2011

Does it add grip? Does the iPhone feel any heavier? Does it feel bulkier? And also, is as pocket friendly?

And also, is the bottom lip sharp? Like does it jut into your pinky when holding with one hand?

Thank you.

they have a regular slim case and a pro case, which one are you looking to buy?

the thin case adds a bit more grip, but not as much as the spigen thin case. i’ve gotten used to the grip now and it’s a nonissue. it’s super thin and weighs almost next to nothing, but like all thin cases, you have to be careful not to drop it since it offers minimal drop protection (i only use thin cases to prevent scratching). it adds no bulk - feels like a naked iphone. lastly, it doesn’t irritate my picky at all when i use my pinky to support the bottom. for the spigen thin fit case i used before, i actually had to sand the bottom edge down so it didn’t cut into my pinky, but pitaka’s is a lot thinner and curves perfectly with the device.

if you’re asking about the pro, it definitely is bulkier, but offers more grip and drop protection.

main benefits of pitaka is the embedded metal plates for their magnetic mounts while supporting wireless charging.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
they have a regular slim case and a pro case, which one are you looking to buy?

the thin case adds a bit more grip, but not as much as the spigen thin case. i’ve gotten used to the grip now and it’s a nonissue. it’s super thin and weighs almost next to nothing, but like all thin cases, you have to be careful not to drop it since it offers minimal drop protection (i only use thin cases to prevent scratching). it adds no bulk - feels like a naked iphone. lastly, it doesn’t irritate my picky at all when i use my pinky to support the bottom. for the spigen thin fit case i used before, i actually had to sand the bottom edge down so it didn’t cut into my pinky, but pitaka’s is a lot thinner and curves perfectly with the device.

if you’re asking about the pro, it definitely is bulkier, but offers more grip and drop protection.

main benefits of pitaka is the embedded metal plates for their magnetic mounts while supporting wireless charging.

Thanks!

I’m not so much concerned about drop protection as I pretty much have never dropped my iPhone. I also have insurance.

I’m currently not using a case at all to keep my X pocket friendly.

I’m thinking th pitaka will keep it feeling great while also adding grip which would be nicer than holding something that’s all glass.

Reactions: crazee928

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
I’ve been using it for almost a year on my X after tried on several different cases. I highly recommend it, it’s light as feather and yet very strong in drop protection. If not for the new gold color which I love to show off, I would definitely get the Pitaka again for my Max.

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Do
I’ve been using it for almost a year on my X after tried on several different cases. I highly recommend it, it’s light as feather and yet very strong in drop protection. If not for the new gold color which I love to show off, I would definitely get the Pitaka again for my Max.

I read somewhere that the case doesn’t have a lip that protrudes beyond the display (like the Apple cases do) to protect the glass from being scratched when the phone is laid down on its display. Is that true? If so, did you notice that your display scratched more frequently/easily?

crazee928

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2011
Do

I read somewhere that the case doesn’t have a lip that protrudes beyond the display (like the Apple cases do) to protect the glass from being scratched when the phone is laid down on its display. Is that true? If so, did you notice that your display scratched more frequently/easily?

you’re right, the case doesn’t rise above the screen, but they do include a free glass screen protector that i put on. i never put my phone face down so this really isn’t an issue for me. i actually don’t like protruding lips bc i find it interferes when i swipe from the edges.

Dld23

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2018
Ohio
Do

I 2nd that. Just got mine and no lip. Edge to edge screen protectors still wont fit due to the corners tho, still gotta go with case friendly(sadly) Perfect case tho, 1000% satisfied and just put it on.

Illmaculate

macrumors member
May 19, 2015
My favourite case period.

If you are ocd or drop prone, I would not get it though due to exposed areas.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA

I actually am a little OCD with my X.

I don’t want to get scratches on it.

Can you please elaborate about the exposed areas?

Like do you think it could not be enough to protect against scratches?

I do use a glass screen protector.

Dld23

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2018
Ohio

Well technically the corners, back, and front(somewhat) are protected. The corners have a slight lip. With a tempered glass, the phone should be safe from all normal drops

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Seems expensive but nice.

Yes. It's magnetic, and it does wireless charging... on the Pitaka MagDock and the the MagMount Qi... it also mounts nicely on the MagMount... charges perfectly on the other wireless chargers, as well... I'd call the case minimalist, though not as thin as the Peel (or similar)... offers good protection.
[doublepost=1538443756][/doublepost]

Thank you.

Yes, some. No, not at all. Again, not at all. And also, yes.

And also, no. Like, no.

Love the case. If you get it from the website, you can get $5 off using the code welcome5 ... no tax and free shipping for orders over $30. (I have no connection with the company other than as a customer, but a deal is a deal, so enjoy!)

Dld23

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2018
Ohio
Yes. It's magnetic, and it does wireless charging... on the Pitaka MagDock and the the MagMount Qi... it also mounts nicely on the MagMount... charges perfectly on the other wireless chargers, as well... I'd call the case minimalist, though not as thin as the Peel (or similar)... offers good protection.
[doublepost=1538443756][/doublepost]

Yes, some. No, not at all. Again, not at all. And also, yes.

And also, no. Like, no.

Love the case. If you get it from the website, you can get $5 off using the code welcome5 ... no tax and free shipping for orders over $30. (I have no connection with the company other than as a customer, but a deal is a deal, so enjoy!)

I confirm mine will not charge wirelessly

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I confirm mine will not charge wirelessly

Interesting. My wife's 8+ charges perfectly... as does my XS Max... love these cases...

Is it a placement/alignment thing? The metal plates may be interfering with he charging coil on the charger... but both of our phones work perfectly - exactly as expected.
[doublepost=1538450216][/doublepost]
Wait, the pitaka case doesn't work with Qi charging? for iphone x?

I don't have an X, but it works perfectly on my wife's 8+ and my XS Max. I charge mine on a MagMount Qi in my car and on a Moto charger on my nightstand. My wife charges hers on a cheap Qi charger (from Amazon) on my wife's nightstand, and has used both of my Qi chargers at times.

Deathshead

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2009
Can confirm the pitaka case has no issues wirelessly charging on a Tylt qi charger.
I wanted to LOVE the pitaka case but they have an admitted batch issue for the xs max where there corners split open as they are not made to correct specs. If the cases split this easily then I cant seem to trust the strength in overall general use. I'm thinking 1 small bump or drop and these cases are toast especially for the price point.

Apparently a new batch is on the way but after 2 replacements I think its time to cut my losses and return for a Apple leather case.

UPDATE: Pitaka support is amazing and took care of everything. Best support experience I have had in years!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.