Does anyone have this external HD? please advise.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Helo2050, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Helo2050 macrumors member

First of all, thank you for your time to assist me out of the many other threads here. My situation is that I am looking for a good portable and external HD. I am looking for something less than $100 and can work on other products not just Apple. I realize Apple offers a external hard drive solution, and although I do like Apple I am looking for the better deal here. I'm not a networking wiz so I am looking for something that works sorta like the iPods do, where you plug it in and it works. I would like as much space as possible for a cheap price of less than $200 so is this a good deal?

I see there are USED products on Apple's store that are cheap but how wise is buying a used external hard drive? I'm sure it come with a warranty and all but really I'd rather not play russian roulette with my data. Can someone please advice me about a good portable hard drive with the features I mentioned? Thanks.

2. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

I use one and it works just fine. You'll have to reformat it for Mac since it either comes as Fat32 or NTFS...one of the two.

For the price, you're not gonna find anything that looks any better than that with the space it has.

Edit: Woah. For $74.99 with the rebate, I'd but it NOW.

3. Scippy macrumors regular

That hard drive should work perfectly fine, and at $75 its a good deal.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

I don't think Apple makes an external HD.

Any Firewire or USB drive should work. It may look like there are hundreds of different drives on the market not no, there are only three or four. They all work exactly the same. The difference between the products is the plastic or metal box and the name on the outside. Pick one that looks like it is well built (I like aluminum boxes)

These guys have some good deals and are a reliable retailer too.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150414 4027&name=%2475 - %24100

Or if that does not work look here
    http://tinyurl.com/nkvzs3

5. mariocapo macrumors member

I have the version that has firewire also. But I think that is the only difference. I have had it for like 2 months for my movie rips, and Time Machine backups. So far great device. And great price. I don't know how reliable the rebates are because I was too lazy to submit my 20 dollar rebate from PCConnection. I'd say go for it, work great with my Macbook Pro. I went with the firewire one because I am not sure how well HD playback is over USB.

6. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

They do. It's called Time Capsule. Also functions as AEBS.