Does anyone have this patricular lag issue with Retina iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fathergll, Nov 5, 2014.

1. fathergll macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

In general, manoeuvring around OS X with multiple apps open wasn’t a problem, but I did run into weird lag in simple tasks like previewing a high-res photo in Finder. The animated expanding window was choppy, not at all smooth, even with no other apps running on the machine. It’s a minor thing, but hiccups like this really annoy me, dragging the whole experience down. It’s hard to tell which component might be the issue, but it’s not the RAM: I popped in an additional 16GB of memory for a total of 24GB just to test this out, and image previews still lagged.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/11/i...y-review-do-those-extra-pixels-really-matter/

2. enroh macrumors member

what other specs do you have in your system?

3. fathergll thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's not mine but from a reviewer. He is using an i5, R9M290X 2GB and 24 GB ram. Im curious if it's a OS issue or hardware.

4. enroh macrumors member

Sorry I misread your post then...twas Gizmodo who had the issue. Its interesting that this lag is seemingly random. Some say its the OS, some don't have any issues on any spec machine. Some have issues on all manner of configurations. I have yet to buy and I keep getting more and more confused as to what to do.

5. w00tini macrumors 6502a

if that's a huge file sized image, there's a good chance that almost any computer is going to lag trying to throw up a quick preview. did they say how big the image is?

personally, i do not have these issues on my riMac, but I'm also not trying to scroll through 20+ meg raw image files. all the images that i take on the iPhone and iPad appear quickly and with no perceivable lag.

6. WilliamG macrumors G3

I have the i7, M295X, 32GB RAM, 3TB Fusion, and doing quick Preview on full-size .CR2 RAW files (from my Canon 5D Mark III) has absolutely no lag zooming in and out, and I'm particularly sensitive to this (so much so that using my iPhone 6 Plus is pretty painful by comparison to the smooth-running iPad Air 2.). These are 30MB RAW files.

7. enroh macrumors member

I would take that challenge on with my Windows box for sure. Hmm - when I get home I will preview some 18meg RAW images...I don't ever recall seeing lag though

8. tillsbury macrumors 65816

I have to say I've never previewed RAW files with Finder before (they're all in my Aperture library), but going in there manually with Finder there's no lag in the Preview. Click on "open with Preview" and there is a delay of just short of a second, then the window smoothly enlarges and opens. Not a spot of lag. My RAW files are 36.8Mb (7360x4912). Maxed-out rimac at "looks like 3200".

9. marcel500 macrumors regular

10. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Or rather, no, not all of us having similar lag problems.

Very unwise to suggest what everyone is experiencing, as you can't possibly know. Many people without lag issues just don't comment or worry about it. If you have a problem that doesn't mean it exists everywhere.

I've never seen this stuttering window-opening problem, on any app including mission control.

11. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Yes, I do see this when running a similar test. I'm starting to notice more lag outside of Mission Control. While not as pronounced as MC, it's there and with only 3-4 apps open you can notice it on practically every single action in Finder.

:eek:

12. LowVoltage macrumors newbie

I experienced some similar choppiness when I used Migration Assistant to move from a 2008 Mac Pro to my 2013 27" iMac. Any details on how data and apps made their way on to the new machine? After being less than thrilled with how things were running after Migration Assistant I tried freshly installing everything. It was like an entirely different computer (in fact, the computer was identifying itself as a Mac Pro in the console before scrapping everything and doing the fresh install). Everything loaded faster, smoother, and I no longer had application lag and/or crashes.