Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
iPhone13 Max Pro w iOS16, 11” iPadPro w iOS 15.7:

Ive spent several days w Apple Techs trying to find out why I could no longer make FaceTime calls on my iPadPro after buying my iPhone13 Max Pro with iOS16. We have discovered that I must remove completely my ExpressVPN app from the iPhone. It’s the only way to make phone calls using WIFI on the iPadPro, or even answer incoming calls using FaceTime. Otherwise leaving the ExpressVPN app on the iPhone will disconnect the incoming or sending call on the iPhone. I get the message “This call has failed,” if I try to answer or call on the iPad using FaceTime. The caller is sent to voicemail. Or the call I am making “fails” on the iPadPro w FaceTime.

ExpressVPN says Apple must update, LOL! So if I travel away from home, I’ll reinstall the VPN.

Anyone else running into this incompatibility? Is anyone running into this issue w NORDVPN?

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
NordVPN works w FaceTime here, just as XpressVPN did not. Not sure why you are having trouble w NordVPN.

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
Same issue with ExpressVPM and my banking. I had to turn off my VPN in order to transfer funds between banks. I finally gave up and canceled express VPN during the 30 day trial.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
With a system update NordVpn quit working, they complicate the solution as there is no real time support, just 24 hr emails. It involved using free open VPN w their servers. It was complex, and hair pulling to wait for email support. So ExpressVPN fixed their product and now works w FaceTime, so I went back to it. However, folks have expressed that a VPN is a waste of money with new system software encryption. I'm going ahead and use it till it expires in '25.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.