Does anyone hear the fan in the new MB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by clyde2801, Nov 1, 2008.

1. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

MB totally silent for the first week. Now can hear faint, constant whirring sound coming from under the middle of the bottom case, towards the screen. Istat pro shows 1998 rpm and temps between 31 and 40 deg. F.

Thing is this was dead silent until now.

2. Your5335 macrumors member

Its not totally silence I can hear mine just ever so faintly, but nothing too bad.

3. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

4. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

5. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

6. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

Can't hear mine unless I lift the notebook to my ear or unless the fan gets to around 3700 rpm when I'm doing something cpu intensive.

7. jhu2 macrumors member

I think I know what the OP is talking about.

My unibody MBP was dead silent for the first week and then last night (day 7) the fan started to click. I noticed it when I was doing CPU intensive tasks. It sounded like a diesel truck, and the noise would kick in at around 4000 rpm. When the fan started to accelerate, it sounded like a a jet taking off. Now I hear a faint click click click even at 2000 rpm.

I will be taking it into the apple store this coming friday, earliest I can go. It'd be 13 days since I bought. I hope they let me exchange it.

Do you guys think a genius will have a way to accelerate the fans up to 5000 rpm?

8. subq macrumors member

I can hear mine (2001rpm 55c). Not like it is a problem or anything.

9. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Same here (I'm guessing on RPM--how are you guys measuring this on the new Alu Macbooks?).

I kind of thought the exact same thing a couple days ago. I was even commenting to someone when I first got it that the fan was literally silent at idle/minor activity. I first noticed it when not under heavy load about 3-4 days ago.

I'll say this though--the first week I had it, I was primarily using it away from my desk. The last few days I've been using it at my desk and with no one home. When my wife has the TV on in the other room though? It just as well be silent.

It's not a huge deal--it's only marginally louder than my Mini was after about a year and a half of use. My Mini seemed to get louder the longer I had it.

10. snessiram macrumors member

@jhu2: Executing the command "yes > /dev/null" in a terminal will push one of the cores to its limit (100% cpu). Execute it 2 times and both cores will. So yes they can.

@all: Maybe you could post some fan speeds when doing different tasks?
    I hear all about the new macbooks having lower fan speeds but when just surfing/e-mailing my white (1th gen) macbook runs at 1500-2000rpm. Only when doing something cpu intensive the fans will kick in more (example: a movie in movist @ 30% cpu on one core is around 2600rpm). So how's the new macbook performing with different cpu levels? (watching a movie, youtube, ...)

Note: I undervolted my macbook using coolbook giving me lower temperatures thus lower fan speeds then the standard setting.