Does anyone here also like Windows?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 0sync0, Jul 26, 2008.

1. 0sync0 macrumors regular

I like my Mac. I also like Windows. I know there are a lot of people here who hate and despise Windows and think that Microsoft is the spawn of satan/evil empire.

I'm just wondering if anyone else here likes Windows.

I beg and beseech you not to fill this thread with your contempt of Windows.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I like any operating system that lets me run the software I want without too many headaches... :D

3. 0sync0 thread starter macrumors regular

Nice, the subtle contempt approach.

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I don't think MS are the spawn of satan, but I do prefer Mac OS X over Windows. The Mac OS seems more intuitive, and I like not having to worry about security threats.

5. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Most Microsoft products are pretty sub-par. Vista isn't too bad if you have the specs, at least they finally brought Windows into this century. Still light years behind Unix.

Best thing they could do at this point is scrap their NT (Not Today) kernel and design a new operating system, from scratch, a la Apple.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There are many of us here that use both
    Most prefer Macs and OSX for various reasons

I usually don't have too many problems with Windows, but it does irritate me at times when MS products think they know what I want to do better than I do. :rolleyes:

Given the choice... I pick Mac/OSX
    But I don't have a choice at work, and I do fine

They both do their job and Windows is better at it than it used to be

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

I had some pretty extreme problems with Vista in its early days, but it's fine now. I still prefer Mac OS, but I don't mind using Windows as well. I willingly use xp on a daily basis alongside Leopard. I use each for different tasks, and they both perform respectably with those. However, Leopard does have its weaknesses and bugs as Windows does.

8. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

I use microsoft operating systems on a daily basis at work and school. I seriously debate on switching back but haven't yet. I run virtual machines of vista, XP, server 2k3 and 2k8 on my mac pro, then half of my laptop is bootcamped for vista.

9. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I use both. I don't hate Microsoft more than any other major corporation. Windows, however, is a poor operating system. It's inefficient, it's sloppy, it's buggy, it's not all that stable, it's not all that secure and it doesn't work the way I want it too.

Once you know how to get the power from your Mac, it's an absolute monster.

10. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I find both very useful; I do most of my general tasks w/ OS X and use windows for gaming and 3D apps. As long as it gets the job done then I don't have a problem w/ it.

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Well put! :D

As for me, I like Windows XP. It really looks good on my 22" ACD running on my homebuilt PC.

Had to smile at this. So true.

12. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

I use Vista, XP, and OS X on a daily basis, and I can definitely say that Windows is a mess... in comparison to OS X.

Both get the job done, but the Mac approach is just so much more elegant and intuitive. I also enjoy not having to worry about Spyware and other Sh*tware on my iMac.

13. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

At one time, I really did like it. But, as time keeps moving along, I dislike it now more than ever. Even with having to use it on the work computers. :D
    :apple:

14. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I don't mind it when it is running smoothly and is not in need of maintenance. :)

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- I absolutely hate Windows. It's a nightmare. I hated computers until I bought a Mac. Once i did that, I couldn't stop learning.

16. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

Only if I have it on bootcamp and restore every month to get rid of the hundreds of problems!

17. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I wouldn't mind using windows if it didn't make me HURL.

18. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

I use both OS. But there are some apps, business-related, that are not available on the Mac platform so I have to use Windows. Does that make me "like" it? Only as far as that it gets the job done, albeit not as elegantly as a Mac would.

19. bandaros macrumors member

Yes I like Windows. Actually grew up on Windows.

20. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

"Like" may be a little strong. "Tolerate if I have absolutely no other choice" is more like it. :p

I start a new job tomorrow at a place that's based on Windows. Since last summer I've used Windows maybe a handful of times. Needless to say my MacBook is coming with me. ;)

21. djellison macrumors 68020

But true. There are apps that I need for my professional life and hobby projects that are not available for OSX. I also can not get a Mac with the power of my desktop PC for anything less than 4x what it cost me to build.

There is one app that I can't use on my PC that I can on my Mac - there are lots that I can't use on my Mac that I do on my PC.

So I have both. I enjoy both. Ironically, despite their reputation, it is the PC which does the bulk of my content-creativity

22. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

No. Though this is due to me having a very very very low tolerance for software that tries to make things easier but epicly fails, it just makes me angry.

23. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I do like both Mac OS and Windows, each have their merits.

Windows really does far exceed Macintosh in terms of integration into the workplace (if you stick to Windows Servers that is! :p) but ActiveDirectory really is a GOOD system, the Group Policies work (if you know what your doing) and Exchange is a really elegant solution for colaboration. And it all does really sit nicely.

The only thing that's screwey is the Syncronisation on windows, it does some WEIRD things on domain machines. I've seen some really rock solid XP SP2 machines, and don't forget most of the time it's picking the right hardware which Apple's dont have that problem.

And of course DirectX has become the new defacto-standard for games since 3DFX died.

Mac has the advantage over Windows in the multimedia department (which is weird being a unix based operating system) I do believe it's a lot easier to play back content (apart from bloody dolby digital media files) where WMP still does lead.

I tried Vista Ultimate on my Macbook Pro, and you know what? it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be! it does look pretty nice and it wasn't as slow as i was expecting.

Anyway roundup; ditch both and goto Solaris :p