Does anyone here carry two phones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wayneholbrook, Apr 28, 2013.

1. wayneholbrook macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

Just currious,

Does anyone carry two phones with them all they time? Maybe for business and personal use or for whatever reason?

Also, if you carry two phones, are they both iPhones?

The reason I ask, is I carry two phones, one for business and one for personal. They are both iPhones. I did that so I could easily sync the basically the same info on both phones, such as music and some photos.

I tried using windows or Andriod on the other device but keeping all the info such as contacts and iCal sync was such a pain.

People look at me carrying two phones and think that is outrageous, I was just wondering if anyone was in the same boat.

----------

Between carrying two phones, and iPad mini and a MacBook Pro, I am a bit out if my mind I guess.

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

It's all in your mind. Real estate agents, sports agents etc routinely have 2 phones to keep things separate.

Some ppl however seems to have successfully use Googlevoice to manage two separate numbers with one handset.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I did that for awhile from Christmas 2011 to September 2012. Technically, I do it now, but generally not on my person.

During the aforementioned time period I carried my main phone (HTC Touch Pro) and an unactivated iPhone 3GS. The 3GS was given to me as a gift (previously used by my sister). I used it to get familiarity with iOS. Since it's unactivated I have Talkatone on it with my GV number. Of course it also uses iMessage so I was able to become familiar with that too.

Carried both phones for a while. In September I got my iPhone 5. Now the 3GS stays at home and my kids use it and I also use it for media. My iPhone 5 is now my main phone and my HTC Touch Pro get's carried around in my laptop bag. I have OSX installed on the SD card and use it as an emergency disk. I'm unwilling to totally separate from my Touch Pro because I spent a good number of years customizing it. So, it also serves as a desktop clock at work from time to time. It's still got WiFi and with it's SD card it still serves a useful purpose.

But other than that one period of time where I had both my Touch Pro and my 3GS in my pocket, no.

4. Boogsephine macrumors 6502

This. I use Google Voice all the time and give that number out to people who I'm selling something to, 3rd party companies if I need to be reached and so forth. I find it really convenient having 2 numbers going to my phone for instances like Craigslist selling, surveys from sporting events and people I meet that I may not want to keep in contact with for very long.

I do have a separate phone number that keeps my 212 area code for school / job applications and work related stuff. I find it easier to get jobs and get ahold of someone in a big city if you have the area code they're calling from. I keep that number in my Nexus 4 which is rarely used anymore.

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Yep I carry two. My personal iPhone, and my work Blackberry, although, tbh, the Blackberry gets used for calls and nothing else. I have my work email setup on my iPhone (I just need the work number).

6. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

Yes I have two phones. One number is like a basic number that I would give out for sales on craigslist/other places. I would also use that number to chat with people I'm iffy about. :D

7. Ann P macrumors 68020

It's not ridiculous at all. I used to carry a Blackberry for work and an iPhone as a personal phone. Been using Google Voice with two numbers, with own forwarding number. This has worked well for me. There are plenty of people who have two phones, rather it be for work, company-issued, or just because.

8. NedBookPro macrumors 6502

I carry two iphones. One for personal (i've had it for ages), and more recently I was issued one for work.

It would be nice to be able to have dual sim in this situation.
    Hate to have to carry two phones, and yes, it looks ridiculous. Not my preference. I do get strange looks putting the two phones on a conference table along with the macbook. People probably think I'm a fan-boy.

So yep, I'm in the same boat as you...

9. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Yes I have a iPhone 4S and a htc Evo4g. Got sprint employee plans. Waiting to upgrade my evo to a cellular iPad 5 though

10. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

I even used to carry three at a time. I see carrying two phones as normal, but only when on duty.

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I don't personally but live and work in DC so it's certainly not uncommon for people to do it around here.

12. Mrbobb macrumors 601

2 - all the time.

3, 4, 5+ the cops may think ur up to no good! ;)

13. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

Yup, I do it! And it's pretty much been a normal routine now for about 5 years.

I always have an iphone on me, had one since the 1st one was released in 2007, and since then have owned all of them.

My other line used to be a blackberry that I would use mainly for email, business, etc , and was switched out for an Android phone a few years back.

I'm pretty much a phone whore that loves technology and probably go through about 4-5 different phones per year.

Rght now I have an iphone 5 and an HTC ONE! Love them both...

14. df22799 macrumors newbie

since a goole search returned this thread I`ll just chime in confessing I too carry two phone for almost 10 years! :(
    I`m sick and tired of this.

does anyone have a sensible alternative to this? to manage work and personal numbers?

1st: I don`t live in the US so GV would not be an option from my understanding.
    2nd: the ideal scenario will involve some kind of software/ app/ call through, callback/ ring-through service that will allow me to dial out to a business contact using my business caller ID, from the personal number.
    Receiving a call addressed to the business number to the personal one would be easily achieved through simple call forwarding.

the outbound caller ID is the elusive part for me.

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

iPhone 5 in the backpack, and Samsung Galaxy S4 in the pocket.

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think Nokia and maybe some other phone companies make phones that take two sims so there are two different numbers for that handset. If you're wanting an iPhone then you are out of luck I think.

17. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't. Only thing I can compare is pre-iPhone when I carried a phone and an iPod. One more expensive thing to remember everywhere.

One feature I wish iPhones had is the ability to use multiple phone numbers. I think one of the Motorola Razrs I had could do that, so you could have a personal number and business number. By now I'm guessing people with iPhones who want to do that have gone some VoIP route, but it would be a nice option.

18. df22799 macrumors newbie

true, but as in the case of other manufacturers the dual sim alternatives are subpar.
    there are of course also dual-sim adaptors and "companion" devices but everything is cumbersome.
    I just want my iPhone to handle personal an business numbers.

in the meantime I found a workable solution with callback services and dedicated apps. It implies a cost, as in various rates/min, but it looks feasible.

19. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

I must be greedy. I use 3 phones.
    3GS for garage business use
    iPhone 4 for "other" use
    iPhone 5 for family/personal use
    3GS has been through hell and it still performs like a new phone :)

20. wayneholbrook thread starter macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

With three different numbers?

21. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

I carry a blackberry bold for work- hate it and an iPhone5 for pleasure.

22. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

Yes it's very confusing.

23. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I do - iPhone for personal and Blackberry for work. Work doesn't allow me to view email etc. on personal phone so I really have no choice. Of course I don't carry work one all the time - just extended work hours.
    I also carry work laptop and iPad - same sort of reasons. And 4,000 power etc cords it seems.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Thankfully, I have never had to carry 2 phones around. Sounds like a pain.

25. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

I have done 2 phones at a time (3 for a tiny stretch), and while on paper it sounds great, practically it isn't so much. The most reasonable way I dealt with it was to have whichever phone was appropriate for the time in my pocket and just check the other one every once in a while. Still a pain though