Does anyone here have a MBP and an MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wineandcarbs, Feb 19, 2012.

1. wineandcarbs, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012

wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I'm asking this here because I figure if I ask on the MBA sub-forum i'll get responses from people who have an MBA (being the MBA sub-forum), but not necessarily an MBP.

I'm wondering how many of you have an MBP as a primary computer and an MBA as well. I have and love my MBP. I'm considering getting an MBA to make it even easier to carry my computer to work (I bring it to work daily).

For those who have both an MBP and MBA (with MBA being the secondary computer):

1) Do you make use of both?

2) What do you use to keep your files synced on both? (I don't want music and movies to be on both, but I want my work documents to be synced on both computers.)

I'd want to be able to work on things on my MBP and have the files there on my MBA, changes and all, ideally. TIA :)

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I had a 17" MBP and an 11" MBA, but I recently sold the MBP in anticipation of upcoming refreshes. I used dropbox to keep documents synced, and all my larger media files were on a portable hard drive, so keeping things lined up was easy. With Ivy Bridge, I'm probably cutting back down to just a 13 or 15" MBA/MBP depending on the design choices Apple makes (I do plan on getting rid of the 11" Air when the time comes too).

3. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I have an MBP 15" coming at the end of the week. I do have a 11" i5 MBA and an iMac. I use idisk to save all my files I want to keep synced. With photo stream it's a lot easier to keep my iPhoto library the same as well.

So with iDisk ending this June, I am waiting and hoping Apple comes up with something extended on the iCloud.

4. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Are you thinking he new MBPs will weigh less? (Just curious since you said you'll probably cut down to just an MBP or MBA.)

5. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I have both as well. I make a decent amount of use out of both of them. When I am traveling depending what kind of day I am having and what kind of meetings I'm taking dictates which computer I bring. As others have said I primarily use drop box to keep my files synced and Airdrop works really well to transfer files between the two.

6. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm currently a student (engineering, but not much computing this semester), so my 11" Air is plenty sufficient for what I need to do (I also have a Thunderbolt Display when I'm stationary). The 11" is super light and perfect to carry around. However, I do anticipate needing some more power this summer and next year (my engineering work might become more computer intensive once again), so I will need to pick up a more powerful machine (especially one that has more RAM - the 4 GB is the biggest limitation on the current Airs). My current thought process is this: if the Airs get a sufficient upgrade, I'll stick with a 13" Air. If the Airs stay weak, but the Pros get lighter, I'll get the smallest one of those. If nothing really changes overall (except for minor processor bumps with Ivy Bridge), I'll just pick up a 15" Pro and keep my current 11" Air. Macs are generally very easy to sell, any way, so it's very flexible to me.

7. Nlynn527, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012

Nlynn527 macrumors regular

I have both. I have a 13" MBP and the 11" Air. I am probably going to sell the air though because I also have an iPad. I thought I would use the Air in addition to the Pro and the iPad but I really don't use it as much as I thought I would.

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I do. Also iMac 27in.
    I carry my MBA to my university and take my MBP for long travel or home/bed use.

My iMac is set for my desk use and to keep all my data backed up.

9. tootall macrumors regular

Very similar to me. iMac for desk use and keep all data; MBA to go to work at the university too! MBP given to my wife random use around the house.

10. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

I have a MBA 13" and my girlfriend a MBP 13".

Quite frankly, as it stands right now (current 2011 models), we find it redundant to have both machines. There's nothing the MBP can do that the MBA cant do just as fine.

11. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense! :)

12. rebby macrumors 6502

Yes, and I love them both equally. ;)

1) I use both of them everyday, for completely different needs. The MBP is my "primary" system. I do the vast majority of my work with it. The vast majority of the times, the MBP lives on my desk although I will occasionally take it with me if I need the extra horsepower. My MBA is my primary mobile device. I take it almost everywhere.

2) For small files that need to be sync'd often I usually use Dropbox. Primarily though, I use a NAS for the vast majority of my storage requirements. All of my systems have VPN access back to the NAS so this has been a pretty manageable solution.

13. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

I had both a 15" MBP and a 13" MBA but sold the MBA awhile ago. Also have a 3G iPad 2 which comes into play here.

Originally, I planned on using the MBP as a desktop replacement and just taking the MBA with me everywhere. One of the reasons for doing it was cause my iTunes library was on my MBP and I would remotely access it when away.

Long story short, I got rid of the MBA, got a newer hi-res MBP that I still use as my desktop and portable. I also got a Mac mini that I moved all my iTunes videos to for remote access and kept my music on my MBP.

The iPad took the place of the MBA. I was using (and still use) Dropbox to sync files I need to access all the time.

I think if I had an iMac, I probably would have kept the MBA instead. MBA's are great though. I'm looking a the 11" MBA's right now and telling myself I really DO NOT need one. We'll see how that goes! haha

14. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I've got both an 11" MBA and a 13" MBP, but I got my MBA when my main machine was an iMac.

Since I got the MBP, the MBA has been passed to my daughter to use - the MBP is easily portable enough for me not to need the MBA

15. tusctodd macrumors member

I have a 15" MBP and a 13" MBA. I used to use iDisk but now I use Window's Live Mesh to keep my documents sync'd between the two laptops.

16. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I'd like to use an 11" MBA but the LED backlit high-resolution display gives me terrible eyestrain problems, a not uncommon problem judging from a lengthy thread on the official Apple forums.

My 15" MBP was too large for me when I travel so I opted for an early 2011 13" MBP. With the addition of a Power Support anti-glare film I am a Happy Camper.

If I am traveling for pleasure my 4S iPhone is really all that I need. I also have an iPad so I can take that but so far the iPhone has negated any need for the iPad.

17. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

I won't be getting a Macbook Air until 8GB of RAM is an option and there's a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter.

Only God knows what Apple is thinking with that nonsense USB to Ethernet adapter ... Ethernet capped to 480mbps LOL.