Does anyone here own a GF1? sRGB vs RGB

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Hi,

So my GF1 seems to be stuck on RGB colour. I originally had it on sRGB and for some reason I changed the setting. I then read a few articles which suggest RGB is more hassle. I switched it back and on the camera it says sRGB in the settings. But when I check the TIFF files from the RAW files on my laptop they still say RGB.
I have checked older ones (i.e., before I first changed it) and they are sRGB. I think this may be a bug, I can't seem to find any info online about it.

I don't want someone to test it on theirs and then have it get stuck either. But if you have a GF1 and shoot RGB, could you see if it lets you go to sRGB.

I suppose I can just convert it to sRGB, but this just means an extra step I have to do. I tried to look in ACR if I can make a TIFF export (I've always use TIFF is there any extra benefit of using DNG instead?) with sRGB but I don't think it has that option.

Also while people are reading this do you shoot RGB or sRGB and why?
Keeping the original post but letting people know I think I have it solved now (see below)

Last edited:

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
RAW has an unassigned color space. The color space setting will only affect the jpeg output.
Sorry yes, I got confused and meant TIFF from RAW. I've edited the post.

Last edited:
Comment

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
What do you mean by RGB color? sRGB is RGB too! Isn't there something missing from your description? Another color space should have a longer name than just RGB!

Comment

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
What do you mean by RGB color? sRGB is RGB too! Isn't there something missing from your description? Another color space should have a longer name than just RGB!
He probably means Adobe RGB.

In which case, I have all my working color spaces set to Adobe RGB for color matching and better color representation.
Although I'm not on a GF1, it should apply to every single camera nevertheless.

Comment

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Sorry I should have been more specific and said Adobe RGB (1998).

Comment

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Right so I've put my original post in quotes so it is still there, not to confuse people by removing it.

So if I understand correctly now, since I shoot RAW there is no assigned colour profile because it is RAW. When ACR opens the files it must default to Adobe RGB (1998) to get the most colours when saving a file to something like TIFF or JPEG, would this assumption be correct?
I think this may be where user design could help, if I select RAW on my camera it should grey out the colour profile selection since it is irrelevant, this is what caused me confusion.
I think my issue is solved now, though it really was more a lack of understanding than a real problem.

Comment

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Northern District NY
Shane Hurlburt and Philip Bloom both recommend Adobe RGB...not that I mindlessly follow them but they seam to be on the cutting edge of DSLR's. I recently switched to Adobe RGB, not a huge difference but whatever.

Comment