does anyone here own lacie rugged drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnsy, Jul 9, 2008.

1. johnsy macrumors 6502

OK, I posted this in other tread, but no luck. In this tread seems more people with portable HD, so might be I will be more lucky. So my question is does anyone own lacie rugged drive? Yes? Can you post some pictures without an (orange) bumper? Or disassembled? NO, DON'T ASK ME TO GOOGLE IT, seems google does return only low resolution renderings, and I checked filckr too.

for me it seems quite reasonably priced hard drive with firewire 400, 800 and usb. Also can anyone comment on reliability?

2. joeliethegoalie macrumors member

I bought the 320gb rugged drive about a month or so ago and I LOVE it. I keep all of my music on it and take it w/me wherever my MBP goes. It's light as a feather and has not given me a single problem.

I was a little concerned about 5400rpm not being enough, but the response time (via FW800--and why use anything else?) is pretty much immediate. I highly recommend it.

(I don't have my camera w/me so can't take pics for you, but there's not much to see beneath the orange rubber. Just more silver metal. Are you looking for something in particular?)

3. johnsy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks,
    I just was wondering what is under that rubber- some kinda tabs, screws or both- so in case I would like to upgrade it would it be relatively easy or not. Seems LACie offers quite reasonable prices, but what brand HD is inside, since it doesn't make HD itself it can be any...

4. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Very good hard drives, I have two of them. As far as those pics you wanted, I dont have any of my drive taken apart haha. I suggest you get one, though.

5. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Another vote for the Rugged Drive. Holds all my media, nice and quick through FW800! Very happy with my purchase.

Sorry i dont really wanna take it apart until the drive fails.

6. nyzballa12 macrumors member

Very good quality hard drives...havent failed on me yet.

7. joeliethegoalie macrumors member

There are a couple of tabs w/tape over them saying "Warranty Void if Broken".

8. johnsy thread starter macrumors 6502

Well as far as rubber bumper, you can take it without voiding warranty, they even sell different color skin pack.

So it is easy to upgrade then? I guess I will be purchasing that then.

9. antibard macrumors newbie

no so keen

i treated my rugged quite ruggedly and it isn't working on firewire anymore and occasionally disconnects itself on USB.

far more impressed with my iomega blackbelt which just feels better made, responds quickerr, isn't as ugly and is none the worse for a bit of a battering in my bag.

have now opened up the rugged - it has a hitachi drive inside. just going to stick it in a cheap enclosure.