Does anyone here really like "soft white" bulbs?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tzhu07, Apr 1, 2015.

1. tzhu07 macrumors regular

tzhu07

I live in Seattle, and as part of a free city promo, I received one free Philips LED light bulb.

The problem is that it's a "soft white", one of those bulbs that coats everything in a piss yellow color. :mad:

2. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I prefer soft white in the house. Cool white and daylight is too office like to me.

3. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Cool white (5000K) is stark and unsuitable for living areas.
    2700K might be too yellow for you.
    Try 3000K or 3500K instead.

4. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

5. Xiroteus macrumors 65816

I tend to d better with warmer light bulbs as anything too white has that office feel. Of course I love REAL day light.

6. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I greatly dislike the yellowish tint caused by some bulbs - makes painting my walls and floors white rather pointless. I prefer stark white light out of bulbs (without an actual lamp) and LED lamps but..

..compromise was using those beautiful Japanese Akari lamps made out of shoji paper where a more cosy feel is welcomed.

Hey there, old fello[ww]! Long time no see - be it DAY or NIGHT.. :D

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

While I like daylight most of all, I prefer anything to fluorescent lighting, or that bleak white glare. So, yes, I do like soft, white lighting, and warm glows.

8. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I have two LEDs in my bathroom light fixture and one incandescent. I'm also sitting here typing this by the light of an LED that's from the same batch as the ones in my bathroom.

The bulbs are all visible in my bathroom light fixture, and the two LEDs have pretty much the same color temperature as the 60W incandescent.

Incidentally, my reason for that particular combination is that I find the light from LEDs to be too "directional". They're fine under a lamp shade(I'd go so far as to say you would think they were incandescent if I didn't say otherwise), but with the relatively "open" bathroom fixtures I prefer having at least some fill light for the rest of the room.

I prefer incandescents for general use, and especially as reading lights. That's why I've stubbornly refused to use CFLs in applications where I knew they would be reading lights(I've bought some high end CFLs, too, that claimed to avoid this problem). LEDs, however, to me are effective replacements for incandescents and as budget allows I'm slowly going to be transitioning lamps over to them. The only place where I'm going to keep incadescents-at least partially-is in open fixtures such as in the bathroom.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

My wife is passionate about her lightbulb preferences.

But me? If it's lighter than darkness, then I don't care.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

As am I.

Light influences mood, and ambience. You can set a tone in a room with little more than thoughtfully placed - and angled, and directed - lighting, with attention paid to strength, tint, luminosity, visibility, and so on.

Actually, I am passionate not just about lightbulb preferences, but about materials used in lighting, lamps and shades, and the setting and placing of sources of lighting.

One of my personal favourites is an old gas lamp from the nineteenth century, which my father grew up with (using it as a gas lamp) and which he later adapted for electric lighting over half a century ago. I still use it, although I had to get it repaired around a decade ago; the gas light bowl gives a wonderfully warm glow.

And I have to say that I loathe most (artificial) overhead lighting.