Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thetruth1985

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
I have a 2010 17 inch MBP that I am considering to trade to a guy on craigslist for his 2011 MBA 13 inch. My 17 inch may be worth a couple hundred more than his air since I also have 8gb ram and a 128gb ssd. I am willing to give up this power in order to get a smaller machine that is easier to transport back and forth to class. I think I am ready to trade but one of the questions I have is if it is possible to comfortably view 2 safari pages or 2 MS word docs side by side. One of the things that is good about the 17 inch is because of the resolution, I can watch 2 windows side by side. For example, I may watch a youtube video on the left side while searching google on the right without straining my eyes. I want to know if I have to give up this capability when using a smaller machine.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Do you have good eyesight? I just did a test. I opened MS Word, set to Print View Layout, and zoom at 100%. This screen fits quite perfectly on half the screen. But the font is quite small.

I personally don't think you'd be very happy using it that way. I usually run things in full screen mode and leverage Mission Control, Launchpad, and three finger swipe a lot.

thetruth1985

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
Ok thanks for doing the test. I guess this is sort of a dealbreaker for me since it's something I'm so used to lol. My eyesight is perfect but I still prefer not to squint while at the computer.

jamesr19

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2009
Just pop into an Apple Store/Reseller and have a go yourself. You'll therefore know if its good enough for you or not...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.