Does anyone here speak Indonesian?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by motulist, Apr 22, 2009.

1. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I've recently really gotten into the band Ariesta Birawa, they're an awesome Indonesian psychedelic rock from the 1970's. The problem is, I don't have any idea what they're singing about! I searched google to see if I could find a translation of their lyrics into English, but I didn't find anything. (which isn't to say it necessarily isn't out there, just that my google skills couldn't find it)

Now I don't expect you to translate the whole album for me, or even a whole song, but I keep hearing the same phrase over and over and I really wanna know what it means! The phrase sounds like "un took moo" but that could be way off. Maybe it's untuk mu or whatever. Google translate said "untuk" means "for" but it had no translation for the word "mu". (if I had to guess I'd say it means "you" but I wanna know!)

So Indonesian-speakers, I need your help! What does untuk mu mean?!

p.s. If you've never heard them before, I highly recommend it. I'll try to find a streaming sample for you.

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

3. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

Ha, very funny Phil. :p As I wrote though, I already tried that, and I also tried it with every alternate spelling I could think of.

4. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Well Google knows most items.. yes @ times the info that people need is buried but a lil digging via google. You'll find the right google tool for your needs.... :rolleyes: ;)

6. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

DOH! I just noticed that one of the song titles is "Untukmu Pujaanku" so the spelling is right there! But when I do google translate on "Untukmu" it still says that that word means "for", just as it translated the word "untuk" into the word "for". So does that mean these really are different ways to say the same word? Like "untuk" is the informal way to say the word "Untukmu"?

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I learnt Indonesian for 4 years in school (between grades 6 and 9)...I can only remember some numbers and, oddly, their version of the Happy Birthday rhyme :p

8. qym2k7 macrumors newbie

untukmu, consist of two word, which is "untuk" and "kamu" its stand for words "for you".

sorry for my bad english.